We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day in Capitol Reef

Framingham...
Level Contributor
122 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
One day in Capitol Reef

Hi

as part of our grand circle tour we will be driving from torrey to moab on october 1st. we are looking at doing the following.

1.visit capitol reef and do the scenic drive

2.stop over and visit in the orchard

3.do lunch in hanksville

4.take side trip to goblin state park.

5.we need to stop at the arches on our way into moab to reserve fiery furnace walk

how much time would you allot for each. i was thinking a few hours in goblin park. a few hours on the scenic drive.

do we have time for chimney rock trail or any short hikes

Torrey, Utah
Destination Expert
for Torrey, Capitol Reef National Park
Level Contributor
1,322 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One day in Capitol Reef

The nicest short hike in the park is up to Hickman Bridge, it's about a mile each way and you are rewarded with a spectacular bridge. The walk itself is pleasant with only a couple of steep spots though it is mostly non-flat. The hike begins at a pullout just east of the visitor centre and is well signposted. Try to spot the Moki Hut.

Moab, Utah
Destination Expert
for Moab
Level Contributor
3,320 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One day in Capitol Reef

You'll only need, at most, a couple of hours at Goblin Valley so no need to rush out of Capitol Reef.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,001 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One day in Capitol Reef

At Cap Reef, drive into Capitol Gorge and do the short easy hike to the Pioneer registry, with the names of early settlers scratched into the walls.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,594 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One day in Capitol Reef

1. Take not just the scenic drive but go all the way to Capitol Gorge and take a walk down the old roadway. I'd say go to the Tanks and back. Shouldn't take you more than 2-3 hrs.?

2. If there is fruit to pick then it will take you longer, but otherwise what you want to see is the school house and petroglyphs. 1/2 hr

3. Hanksville for lunch? We kind of enjoyed Stans, but just don't expect much. (Ray's Tavern in Green River is better, but maybe you want something to eat before then... There has been talk about a fruit stand in Caineville,,,what was the name of that place guys?)

4. Goblin Park? For me 10 min :-)

But you might enjoy the hike through Little Wild Horse Canyon 2-3 hrs depending on how fit you are and how far you go.

5. Get there before they close at 6:30

Have a great time !

Pennsylvania’s...
Level Contributor
1,644 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One day in Capitol Reef

Kbecjeans,that place is the Mesa Organic Farm.

Great salad and homebade bread and cinnamon rolls.

Great stop here...on right hand side a few miles after you exit Capitol Reef park.

Quiller7 i would do the hike to Delicate Arch..

a little hilly but well worth it...

Torrey, Utah
Destination Expert
for Torrey, Capitol Reef National Park
Level Contributor
1,322 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One day in Capitol Reef

Delicate Arch is in Arches NP not Capitol Reef

Framingham...
Level Contributor
122 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One day in Capitol Reef

Hi

thanks. isn't delicate arch in the arches park. planning that later as we have three nights two full days in moab.

what is everyones preference on hickmans ridge/chimney rock/capitol gorge. how many can you do in one day and still do a short visit to goblin park (ps-not trying to kill ourselves). we would be leaving torrey in the am after breakfast.

Pennsylvania’s...
Level Contributor
1,644 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One day in Capitol Reef

I know Delicate Arch is in Moab.I did the hike there last year from the parking lot.

She is headed there (Moab)from Capitol Reef so I suggested doing it.

We will also be doing this leg in Sep leaving from

Tropic after visiting Bryce.Killer Bob too bad Cafe Diablo does not open til 5.

But will settle for Mesa Organic Farm,Salad Great..

especially with a bottle of wine...

9. Re: One day in Capitol Reef

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 pm, October 07, 2009