We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Roadrtip in May

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
2,642 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Roadrtip in May

I, too, am planning a roadtrip to Color Country. I'll be flying in and out of Las Vegas. Route is Zion, Page (via, hopefully, Coyote Buttes if I can get a permit!), Monument Valley, Moab (Arches), Bryce, Vegas.

Ordinarily, I love driving down back roads and getting pleasantly list (but not really) in the scenery. I'm experienced at long deserted drives, but after what happened to the Kims, I have had some second thoughts about part of my route. I'll have all the needed supplies. The trip is in mid May so the weather may still be rough in places. But still.

What's the best and safest way from Moab (Arches) down to Tropic (and Bryce)? I will do it in one long day, but looked at the map. The highest elevation I've ever driven is the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, that's hardly mountain terrain, though. I presume cellphone reception is going to be dicey in come areas. THh mountains here in California are nothing like the ones I'll be seeing, I'm sure.

I plan to leave my itinerary with the B and B in Moab and will call them once I get to Tropic. I'd love to go down a secondary paved road but it looks soooo deserted. Is the interstate route best?

What do you recommend? I feel like an old biddy hen suddenly, worrying, when in fact long drives through the backcountry has long been one of my favorite pastimes. I'm not a kid, I'm 48 and have had wilderness survival training. but...I still worry!

Torrey, Utah
Destination Expert
for Torrey, Capitol Reef National Park
Level Contributor
1,400 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Roadrtip in May

There's really nothing to worry about in May, you can take any route safely. There might be the odd light snowfall at 10,000 feet but it won't be much any place there's a paved road.

2. Re: Roadrtip in May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:32 am, August 26, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Bryce Canyon National...