We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gotta have a TV...

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
7,594 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Gotta have a TV...

So, Michigan just beat Illinois to win the Big 10 title in men's basketball and as I'm listening to them talk about the upcoming NCAA tournament, the date for the Final Four championship game -- April 7th -- rings a bell, and it occurs to me that we will be at Bryce that night and I have a room reserved at the lodge which doesn't have a TV... THIS is a problem.

I've never stopped at the Ruby's complex. Are there any sports bar/restaurant type places with a TV where the game would be playing? My 15yo son will be with us, so it can't be a BAR bar. Our other option would be to stay at the BW instead, which I'll do if necessary. Needs to be a sure thing; missing the game isn't really an option.

Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
9,060 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Gotta have a TV...

As far as I can recall there is not a bar area TVs where you could watch the game in ruby;s Inn.

there may be a place in Tropic or at one of the other restaurants just outside the park. The other option is in Pangultch.

Maybe you could rent a hotel room by the hour just for the TV :)

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,285 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gotta have a TV...

Gulp...what if it isn't Michigan ??? Sorry... lol. If it is important, then stay at Best Western Ruby's Inn, website says 50 cable channels, I assume 1 will have basketball! Also you can subscribe to NCAA.com and watch on your laptop/tablet if you have internet. http://www.ncaa.com/march-madness

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,594 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gotta have a TV...

>> Gulp...what if it isn't Michigan ???

Can't have such thoughts. :) We would want to watch the game in any case. We're just going to stay at one of the Best Westerns.

Between the BW Plus Ruby's and the BW Plus Grand, is one better than the other? The Grand seems to get slightly better reviews, rates are a little higher.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
59,234 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gotta have a TV...

The Grand is the newer and nicer facility. Seriously look into the streaming capabilities on your computer. That would be the most reliable way to have access.

GO BLUE!!!

Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
9,060 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Gotta have a TV...

Ruby's is older, the other BW is much newer. Game is on CBS so both get that station.

look at price of hotels. there are some motels just ouutside on route 12...see what place is the cheapest

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,594 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gotta have a TV...

We'll have our respective smartphones, iPads, etc. but not sure any of us will be traveling with a laptop. We're traveling with a lot of gear, so trying to keep the electronics to a minimum. The NCAA championship is a pretty big deal, so I'm pretty confident that any TV will do.

Both BW's are reasonable, price-wise, especially when compared to the lodge. So, I don't really need "cheapest". I'd like someplace as close to the park as possible since I'm really looking forward to sunrise and I'm really not a morning person.

Central Florida...
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Gotta have a TV...

BW Grand has free breakfast, Ruby's original BW has a restaurant and snack bar. They are across the street from each other. We've stayed in both, and both are fine.

Edited: 4:06 pm, March 05, 2014
Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gotta have a TV...

Yeah, the Grand is barely 10 years old, and the breakfast(the best free breakfast I have ever seen) mentioned by CDR is one of the reasons why the rates are higher The rooms are quite spacious, especially in the bathroom/vanity area. The rooms are equipped with flatscreens.

Rubys Inn is older, and is where the original Inn was located, but it will have been remodelled several times through the years in the actual main building. If you do book with Rubys Inn, it would be likely you may get one of the motel style out buildings, which are fairly new looking.

The third 'Rubys' accomodation is the Bryce View Lodge, which shares the same rough physical location as the two Best Westerns. The Bryce View Lodge is a motel style, and is very similar to the dozen or so motel style buildings surrounding the Rubys Inn.

The problem with using a laptop(which I see you are not using anyways)is that you are at the mercy of the internet capacity of the WiFi hotspot you are using. If you are the only one attempting to use the connection, then you would likely be OK. More people less problems, so 9 times out of 10, the capabilities of your own laptop computer means nothing.

No TV's in the Cowboy Buffet at Rubys Inn. I have not been to the other two Rubys eateries, which are Canyon Diner and Ebenezers. Highly doubt Ebenezers would be any good because they host an evening'show with dinner'

Bryce Canyon Resort is the next closest place to the park, and is located on the corner of SR 63 and SR12. They have a large restaurant and a saloon type of place right near the Subway restaurant. Doing a quick internet search showed it as Cowboy Ranch House which is the 'only place to watch the ball game' Not sure if it is your style to send an email inquiry, but that is an option to see what they are doing about this game you want to watch.

The other two hotels on SR 12 mentioned by Dan are Fosters and Bryce Canyon Pines. Bryce Canyon Pines is already getting to be several miles away from the park entrance

Edited: 5:47 pm, March 05, 2014
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,594 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gotta have a TV...

Thanks, everyone, for the helpful info. Booked the Grand. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Go Blue!

10. Re: Gotta have a TV...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 1:05 pm, March 10, 2014