We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guides needed?Best photos at Antelope & Navaho/Queens Trail?

Bristow, Virginia
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Guides needed?Best photos at Antelope & Navaho/Queens Trail?

My husband and I, and our twin 17year old daughters will be traveling from Las Vegas to Zion/Bryce, Page and Grand Canyon for 10 days (2 nights at each) at the end of June. Among the hikes, are they self-guided? Also, are there any places (time-wise sunset/sunrise) that my photo buff daughters would sure not want to miss? Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
Level Contributor
6,982 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Guides needed?Best photos at Antelope & Navaho/Queens Trail?

All hikes 'within' the parks are self guided, with few exceptions. The onus is on you to familiarize yourself with the hikes in each park. Questions about each hike, or material to reference, can be provided upon request.

I personally am not a photographer, so cannot give you a lot of info. A book often mentioned on this forum is photographing the SouthWest, which can be found online and at many of the visitor centers and gift shops in and around the parks.>> zionpark.org/shopping/productDetails_1250.ht…

In Zion, the canyon is valid for photos all day IMO. Many people situate themselves at the visitor center/history museum/canyon junction for sunset.

In Bryce, the main amphitheatre is best at sunset/sunrise.

In Page, antelope is likely the best midday to catch the best light in the canyon. Questions can be asked about this subjest, and good locations at GC, on the AZ forum.

Mentioned in this post
Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
19,873 posts
428 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Guides needed?Best photos at Antelope & Navaho/Queens Trail?

Good advice so far. Definitely get Photographing the American Southwest. For sure you don't need guides. Zion offers some stunning vistas at any time during day from the more prominent mountain trails. Sunrise/sunset are a bit of a mixed bag but you can get some amazing reflected light off the redrock cliffs.

Bryce is OK at sunset, totally spectacular at sunrise. Definitely be on the canyon rim at sunrise.

Have fun.

Mentioned in this post
Hendersonville, NC
Level Contributor
702 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Guides needed?Best photos at Antelope & Navaho/Queens Trail?

Hi Beach1der, and welcome to the forum.

At Zion, the bridge at Canyon Junction is a very popular spot for photographers at sunset, though great photos of the Watchman, Great White Throne and other towering cliffs can also be taken late day/early evening in Springdale if you're staying there. For mornings, if you're headed to Bryce via the East side of Zion, the Canyon Overlook trail that begins right by the tunnel is wonderful to photograph mid-morning as the rising sun lights up Zion Canyon.

At Bryce, I found post-sunrise along the Navajo/Queens Garden hike to be best for photos (early to mid-morning).The hoodoos light up beyond belief at this time. At sunset, I got some great photos from the higher-elevation overlooks beyond (south) the Sunset/Sunrise overlooks. The mountains in the background of the amphitheater create a beautiful sight.

Have a great trip.

Mentioned in this post
Canyon Overlook Trail
Canyon Overlook Trail
682 Reviews
Zion National Park, UT
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
63,504 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Guides needed?Best photos at Antelope & Navaho/Queens Trail?

No guides needed at Zion or Bryce. However at Antelope Canyon at Page you will have a mandatory guide. AC is a Navajo park, not a national park. They make the rules, set the fees and provide the guides.

Mentioned in this post
Bristow, Virginia
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Guides needed?Best photos at Antelope & Navaho/Queens Trail?

I'm taking notes & so very excited! Thank you all so much :)

6. Re: Guides needed?Best photos at Antelope & Navaho/Queens Trail?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 13, 2014