We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road Trip to Bryce Canyon and Page, Help!

Euskadi
Level Contributor
87 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Road Trip to Bryce Canyon and Page, Help!

We have 8 days for this trip which will happen July 2013.(8-14)

8-9 Yosemite

10.- Mammoth Lakes

11.- ---Cedar? Panguich??

12.- Cameron

13.- Williams

14.- Las Vegas

I read a lot but I would appreciate any comments for improvement.

Our road Trip starts in Yosemite but I have problems with the day in which we leave Mammoth Lakes and want to be the closer we can to Bryce Canyon

the next day we will visit Bryce C, and Antelope Canyon and we will sleep at Cameron ( near Grand Canyon).

My question is Cedar City , Panguich???? From ML to Cedar are approximately 7 hours and we do not know the way. How is the road from C to Bryce?

I hope you could help me : Thanks!!

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
18,919 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road Trip to Bryce Canyon and Page, Help!

I would suggest that you need another day in here or drop something. If you are on this schedule, I would get all the way from Mammoth Lakes to Bryce Canyon in the day. Yes, it's long - about eight hours plus a time change. Just cut across the Nevada desert on 6 to 375 to 93. It's a simple road to drive. Very little traffic. Do stay full on fuel every chance you get, and there won't be many. No realistic place to stay so just get on to Bryce. Best time to view Bryce is at sunrise. So if you stay in Cedar City or Panguitch you'll have a harder time doing that.

Doing Bryce and Antelope in one day then going to Cameron is way too much. Add a day in there.

Have fun.

Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
Level Contributor
6,424 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road Trip to Bryce Canyon and Page, Help!

My question is, why are you not staying nearer to the parks? If it is budget related than that is understandable.

When heading to Bryce, try to make it even closer than Panguitch. Either stay at one of the Ruby's properties(Rubys Inn, Best Western Grand, Bryce View Lodge), or somewhere on SR 12 near Bryce, or in Tropic>> brycecanyoncountry.com/lodging/brycecanyonar…

Given the length of days in July, seeing 'some' of Bryce, then heading to Antelope canyon is doable in a day, but I would stay overnight in Page, unless you have something picked out in Cameron already. Bryce to Page is about three hours driving. Heading on to cameron after visiting Antelope is a tiring day. Adding a day as T&C has stated is recommended, just don't know if it is possible for you.

Same thing for GC. If you do not want to stay in the park at one of the lodges, than look at staying in Tusayan. Then you can enjoy the sunset while you are there.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road Trip to Bryce Canyon and Page, Help!

Is you Mammoth Lakes stay set in stone? I'd skip it and already make my way from Yosemite in the Bryce direction but as T&C has said keep your tank filled. No pumps between Tonopah and Ash Springs for 150 miles. And not much lodging eiter. Tonopah, Rachel (A'Le Inn) and Ash Springs are options. Mammoth Lakes to Bryce in one day would be too far for me.

Tet

Euskadi
Level Contributor
87 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road Trip to Bryce Canyon and Page, Help!

Thanks, I think that we will drive from ML to Bryce in one day ( although is too far) in that way we could see in the morning a litlle of Bryce and propably we could continue to see Antelope.

We can´t stay in Grand Canyon because is tooooooo far from Page so Cameron seem a good option because is close and not too far from Page . Although I know it will be two or trhee tiring days I think worh it. Dont you?

Ah I dont have the posibity of adding one day more we have to saty at L Vegas 14th

Thanks for the link of lodges in Bryce. I´ll keep it thinking ha ha

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road Trip to Bryce Canyon and Page, Help!

Road 89 south of Page is closed so you'll have to make a detour. We drive Page to Cameron in 1h15 minutes but now better count on 2+ hours. Bring plenty of water on the Nevada drive and stick with your car in case of a break down. In real life I'd count on some 10 hours between Mammoth Lakes and Bryce,

Euskadi
Level Contributor
87 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Road Trip to Bryce Canyon and Page, Help!

Thanks!!!! but.. this road still wil be close on july?????

I think thats perhaps is a long drive way so instead of sleeping at ML perhaps could find another place in that way next day will be less km,

do you Know an apropiate place in the middle of my way between Yosemite and Bryce Canyon???

Euskadi
Level Contributor
87 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Road Trip to Bryce Canyon and Page, Help!

Hello again, after reading carefully your tips my plan would be like this..Do You agree??

.- 8 july .- From SFCO to Mariposa sleep there and visit Glacier Point

.- 9 July.- From Mariposa visit Yosemite Valley and sleep at Mammoth Lakes ( Tuolumme Meadows would be better but...)

.- 10 July sleep at Tonopah

.-11 july from T to Bryce Canyon and sleep there (6-7 h)

.- 12 from BC to Grand Canyon ( if possible visit Antelope C)

.- 13 july, after visiting GC sleep in Williams ( drinking a big beer)

.- 14 of july .- Route 66 and arrive Las Vegas

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Road Trip to Bryce Canyon and Page, Help!

It can take a year before us89 will be repaired. Don't miss Mono Lake and June Lake loop on the way to Mammoth. Already gace you 3 options for overnight stays between Mammoth and Bryce. Tonopah, Rachel and Ash Springs. Rachel is a special place. 50 inhabitants and countless aliens....

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,936 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Road Trip to Bryce Canyon and Page, Help!

If you had more time, Bodie is a very cool ghost town north of Mono Lake. At Mammoth drive up to Minaret View.

Tonopah has some interesting places to stay, for sure! The Clown is just so bizarre with all the clown dolls.One other place our race team stayed had 6 or 8 king size beds in one room. Still wonder about that one! The Mizpah is a cool old place to look thru.

Like others said, fill up before leaving Tonopah. Look for wild horses before Warm Springs and the turnoff for the ET highway.

One of the best parts of R-66 is between Kingman and Oatman. If you go that way, you can drive back to Vegas via Laughlin.

Euskadi
Level Contributor
87 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Road Trip to Bryce Canyon and Page, Help!

Thank you again for all your recomendations its very helpfull for me. I have a lot of ideas now. And I wont forget take petrol before leaving Tonopah.!!!!!