We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Byrce Canyon area schedule

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
112 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Byrce Canyon area schedule

We plan to drive from Phoenix to Page/Lake Powell area and stay overnight at Page. Visit Lake Powell in the morning, don't know if there are any quick boat tours we can take on the lake without renting a houseboat. Then we plan to head towards Bryce Canyon. Perhaps stay at The Bestwestern Ruby inn or stay at the Bryce Canyon lodge in the park. Hope to spend about half a day at the Bryce Canyon. We plan to drive to Las Vegas after Bryce Canyon. Is it possible to drive through Zion National Park from Bryce Canyon on our way to Vegas and catch a glimpse of it's beauty ? Anybody has any tips about how to miximaze time and get the most out of sightseeing in this area?

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,212 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Byrce Canyon area schedule

One glance at Bryce and Zion and I am sure you are going to want to come back to this most beautiful part of the world.

I am sure others can advise better on Page and Lake Powell (please also try the busier Arizona forum) but there are a variety of boat tours that depart from The Warweap Marina.

If you can, stay at The Lodge in Bryce. We found it very pleasant with a okay if overpriced restaurant. You are just a stones throw from two overlooks. To us Ruby's looked like a large impersonal motel.

The Park run a shuttle service between May and September which stops at the various overlooks. You can still drive and as long as you just want to stop and admire the magnificent views, you can see he park in half a day even though it deserves more. I would drive to the end (Rainbow Point) and work your way back as all the pull-off's are on the right coming back.

Bryce to Zion is about a 2 hour drive. Just before you enter the tunnel on Highway 9, there are a few parking spaces that mark the trailhead of Canyon Overlook Trail. A moderate half mile hike will lead you to the most magnificent views of Zion from on high.

The highway then goes into the tunnel before spiralling down into the Valley and the Park Entrance. From March to October cars are banned from the main valley road (unless you are staying at The Lodge) and shuttle buses (as at Bryce) drop you at various points along the road.

I am not sure how much time in total you have but it doesn't sound a lot. If you can, try to make it longer!

adamhornets@yahoo.com

salt lake city
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
1,279 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Byrce Canyon area schedule

I don't know if there are any 'quick boat tours' on Powell but all the marina's have little fishing boats that are affordable.It's been years since I was down there. Just check with the Marina's. The best part of the Lake to see in my opinion is Iceberg Canyon-so if you don't have time to explore the lake be sure that is on the 'tour' as well as a stop at Rainbow Bridge. The southern end of the lake has the least interesting terrain. If you can see the lake from the north or east end instead...try Bullfrog Marina. When will you be traveling? Summer is very busy is that area. Be sure to book everything very early. You can stay at Bullfrog Marina, too. There are some hotels there on the lake. It might make a better-more interesting stop than Page.