We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving distance

canada
Level Contributor
71 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
driving distance

Hello, We plan to drive fron Bryce Canyon to Moab Utah. We are thinking of taking Highway 12 to Highway 24 .Then I 70 over to Moab. Has anyone done this? Is it worth it? How long is the drive?....Thanks.....

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,637 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: driving distance

Lots of people have done it and loved it.

I'm not sure you have a lot of choices if you want to get to Moab from there. (and yes it is all worth it)

You could spend a life time exploring the country along that path, but if you don't stop anywhere (and you really should stop) then the drive is about 5 hours.

It would be better if you broke it into at least a two day drive so you could stop along the Grand Staircase-Escalante NM and spend some time in Capitol Reef NP, Goblin State Park and maybe Kodachrome SP and Escalante SP. Not to mention the River Runner hall of Fame in the Powell Museum in Green RIver.

canada
Level Contributor
71 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: driving distance

Thanks! Thats very useful and informative info. I will be researching the places you mentioned....Cheers..CK123

Michigan
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: driving distance

I'm thinking about taking the same trip in reverse. I want to go from Moab to Bryce Canyon, see Capital Reef on the way, see Bryce Canyon, take 14 past Cedar Breaks and end up at (but not go through) Zion in one day. Is it possible? It looks like 72, 62 and 89 are other road options. Do you know which is prettiest? Easiest? Fastest?

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Regina
Level Contributor
3,967 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: driving distance

Take UT-12 from Torrey to Bryce. The rest would depend where you are headed after Zion NP.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: driving distance

Not a chance you can do the drive from Bryce via Torrey and ut12 to Moab in 5 hours. You can drive from Moab to Bryce in 5 hours via the interstates though but not via Torrey. 6 hours is the bare minimum but you easily can take 8 hours with minor stops. You are going to drive one of the most scenic stretches in the world and if you can take 1.5 to 2 days.

Danwie, welcome to your forum, but your itinerary is fools endeavour imo.

Tet

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,637 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: driving distance

<<I'm thinking about taking the same trip in reverse. I want to go from Moab to Bryce Canyon, see Capital Reef on the way, see Bryce Canyon, take 14 past Cedar Breaks and end up at (but not go through) Zion in one day. Is it possible? It looks like 72, 62 and 89 are other road options. Do you know which is prettiest? Easiest? Fastest?>>

Prettiest? Hwy 24 to Hwy 12.

Fastest would be I-70 to I-15 ignoring all other areas of the state.

What time of year? How long of a day are you thinking? If you start at 6am drive to Capitol Reef, stop at Green River for a bite to eat, head down hwy24, arriving about 10am. Take 2 hours for the historic section of the park. Have a bite for lunch in Torrey. Then drive south on hwy 12, arriving at Bryce about 4pm. Take 2 hrs for Bryce staying in the amphitheater area (Sunrise, Sunset and Inspiration Points). Drive three hours to Cedar City including an hour to visit Cedar Breaks. If it is summer and you are lucky you will have seen sunset at Cedar Breaks. Drive to Springdale in the dark arriving around 10pm.

And that's if everything goes okay. :-)

7. Re: driving distance

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, January 22, 2010