We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to start / end Queens Garden / Navajo Loop?

Austin, TX
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Where to start / end Queens Garden / Navajo Loop?

What would you recommend for the start and end of the Queens Garden / Navajo loop? Whatever is easiest is probably best for us. We're family of 4, kids ages 10 & 8.

Thank you!

6 replies to this topic
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
64,383 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to start / end Queens Garden / Navajo Loop?

I like going down the Navajo switchbacks.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
16,335 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to start / end Queens Garden / Navajo Loop?

I like going down Navajo Loop first as well, but it is partly because I think that wall street is the best part of the trail and that comes first if you go that way.

But really I can't believe it makes much difference at all. Some people like coming up the switchbacks.

Hudson, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
882 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to start / end Queens Garden / Navajo Loop?

I like going down Navajo Loop through Wall Street first as well. As noted, it is probably the best part of the trail, and the elevation gain is more gradual on your return via Queens Garden.

But, really, with a 10 and 8 year old, they shouldn't have a problem doing it either way.

USA
Level Contributor
1,162 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to start / end Queens Garden / Navajo Loop?

Navajo is steeper (very steep) than Queens Garden, so it depends if you would rather climb or descend on the steep parts. Harder on the knees to go down the steep (Navajo), and definitely more aerobic to go up it. The grade of QG is not that steep.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to start / end Queens Garden / Navajo Loop?

Start your trail at Sunset Point (which I think is the Navajo trail but not sure) but the loop in this direction to Sunrise Point is a much more gentle gradient as you do all the steepest stuff going downhill on the switchbacks at the start! But a truly beautful trail!!! Well worth it!

Westford...
Level Contributor
38 posts
418 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to start / end Queens Garden / Navajo Loop?

I agree with TJW. Begin your hike at Sunset Point on Navajo Loop and exit the Canyon at Sunrise Point. Doing the hike in this direction gives you an introductory view of much of the Canyon. It also allows you to save the best part of the hike for last, Wall Street. Wall Street is a challenge to be conquered and you will feel intimidated when you see it and like a champion once you conquer it. Your kids will have no problem tackling it.

Enjoy!

Reply to: Where to start / end Queens Garden / Navajo Loop?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted