We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two separate incidents of hikers being rescued in Badlands.

Rapid City, SD
Level Contributor
753 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Two separate incidents of hikers being rescued in Badlands.

In our local paper, the Rapid City Journal, there have been two separate stories this week where a group of hikers needed to be rescued. The first was a family that became lost after starting out on the Door and Window trail and the second a group where a 15 year old became dehydrated and needed to be carried out.

Please do not be fooled into complacency by the beauty of the area. This can be a stark and desolate place. Stay to marked trails and do keep in mind that for all intent and purposes this is a desert and demands the same elemental respect. Go prepared.

Good news is - cell service apparently works!

To view this article:

rapidcityjournal.com/news/article_42e975a4-9…

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
27,760 posts
405 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Two separate incidents of hikers being rescued in Badlands.

It seems the west has been in the news a lot over the last few days!!

Iowa
Level Contributor
1,448 posts
447 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Two separate incidents of hikers being rescued in Badlands.

I'm shocked that anyone could actually get lost when doing the Door or Window trail....they're boardwalk, and very short...not even a mile long. The family must've seriously wandered off trail to get lost.

Rapid City, SD
Level Contributor
753 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Two separate incidents of hikers being rescued in Badlands.

I reread the article about the lost family and it actually says that they started out hiking from the Door and Window Trail parking lot so I guess that's maybe implying they weren't on the trail itself.

Here is the link to that particular article:

rapidcityjournal.com/news/article_873abc2a-9…

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
355 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Two separate incidents of hikers being rescued in Badlands.

Actually, it would be easy to get lost on the Door Trail. Yes, there's a boardwalk, but then the boardwalk ends and you can just keep on going. They have yellow stakes about a foot high spaced far apart to mark the "trail", but basically you're out in the middle of nowhere. I can imagine if you go out pretty far and go around some tall rocks, you might lose your bearings.

Iowa
Level Contributor
1,448 posts
447 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Two separate incidents of hikers being rescued in Badlands.

We thought when the boardwalk ended, that was the end of the trail;-). I had no idea it went further. It does make sense then that you could get lost. I was really scratching my head, wondering how in the world you could lose your way when it's all boardwalk;-)!

6. Re: Two separate incidents of hikers being rescued in Badlands.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, January 26, 2011