We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel through South Dakota To Mt. Rushmore

Woodbury, MN.
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Travel through South Dakota To Mt. Rushmore

We are trying to plan a trip in August. (Tail end of Sturgis bike run). Trying to figure out places to stop in between. Mitchell being the first stop, then traveling west. Planned on stopping in badlands. Is there anything in between Mitchell, and the Badlands? We are going to be tent camping throughout our trip, and have 3 kids on the trip with us. Once we get near Mt. Rushmore, i know of a few things for us to do, but it's that first leg of the trip, that i am wondering what things there are to do. Any suggestions?

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,507 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel through South Dakota To Mt. Rushmore

It's pretty wide open along that route. Nothing leaps to mind :) It will be about a 3 hour drive from Mitchell to the eastern entrance of the Badlands. Also at the eastern entrance is the building where the Minuteman Missile Tour meets. You need advance reservations for that, but it is free. Not sure if the kids would like that?

Near Murdo along your route, have the kids watch for the larger than life size sculptures of a skeletal human with a skeletal t-rex

www.roadsideamerica.com/search/tip…

Also near Murdo:

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/7105

reviews on the 1880's town at Murdo:

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g54726-d62…

rapid city
Level Contributor
14 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel through South Dakota To Mt. Rushmore

Between Mitchell and the badlands is interstate and flat land and more flat land! Seriously, there is a nice campground and visitor center in Chamberlain overlooking the Missouri River- but that is only about an hour west of Mitchell- other than that - there is Murdo (about two hours west of Mitchell) and two hours east of Rapid City- I'm not a huge fan of it but seems to be a busy spot in the summer-

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,507 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel through South Dakota To Mt. Rushmore

ah! Chamberlain. I'd forgotten about that. margor is right-- that is a nice rest area (with a Lewis and Clark display) overlooking the river. Definitely a place to get out and let the kids stretch thier legs and wander. Very pretty spot. The Lewis and Clark buidling wasn't open by the time of evening we got there, but.... it's supposed to be enjoyable.

Iowa
Level Contributor
1,448 posts
465 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel through South Dakota To Mt. Rushmore

We just got back from our South Dakota trip, and drove that stretch of Interstate with our three kids aged 8,8,6. We made a short stop at the Chamberlain visitor center (nice view, plus they have some Lewis and Clark exhibits the kids liked looking at ).

We also stopped at the 1880s Town west of Murdo, which we all thought was a worthwhile stop. We spent about two hours there, and it was a great place for the kids to run around a bit.

There's also some type of Petrified rock garden near Kadoka, but we didn't stop at that.

And, of course Wall Drug. It's past the east entrance of Badlands, but you could hit it first and then take the west entrance into the park.

Also, if you like hiking and scenery, plan on spending quite a bit of time in the Badlands. It's stunning. Not sure how much time you have to make the trip from Mitchell to Badlands to Black Hills, but if it's only one full day I'd plan on stopping just at the Corn Palace, then most of the day at Badlands, then a brief stop at Wall Drug.

Woodbury, MN.
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel through South Dakota To Mt. Rushmore

Great Information ! I was a little worried about the "flat land" ride from Mitchell to the Badlands, and it's good to know that there is at least something to see. The kids are 10, 13, and 14. The youngest will enjoy most of the stops mentioned, and they would all like the rock exhibit. I'll add these stops to my list. Our intent was to stop in Mitchell, camp, then head on to the Badlands.......maybe stay overnite there. Then on to Mt. Rushmore. I Just hope we can get all this crammed into 5 days. :)

6. Re: Travel through South Dakota To Mt. Rushmore

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, December 12, 2010