We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camping Arches and Canyon lands in mid Sept.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
33 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Camping Arches and Canyon lands in mid Sept.

We will be taking a 5+ day camping trip into the Arches/Canyon lands area in Mid Sept. How is the weather, traffic and which campgrounds are the best and what hikes are the must do in these two areas? We are 50 + couple in pretty good shape. Thanks for your input

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
455 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camping Arches and Canyon lands in mid Sept.

I can't help with the camping aspects, sorry, but here's a start on your other questions:

Weather: mid-September is a great time to visit. We usually visit somewhere in southern Utah in late Spetember or early October and have always had great luck with the weather. I did just s quick look at some the historical average data and you'll be looking at highs in the low 80s and lows in the mid 50s (with a +/-10 degree band around each of these general averages). Generally dry that time of year as well. Of course, we're talking about the weather, so there is no way to really predict this far in advance.

As for hiking in Arches, there are a lot of great trails. Delicate Arch for sunset is a classic. Devil's Garden is a great day hike and takes you past several arches including the longest in the park, Landscape. The Ranger-led hike through the Fiery Furnace is also a great little adventure (reserve this in advance). Check out the Windows Section in the early morning.

Here's the website for Fiery Furnace reservations:

www.recreation.gov/tourParkDetail.do…

Mentioned in this post
Utah
Utah
United States
Delicate Arch
Delicate Arch
1,485 Reviews
Arches National Park, UT
Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
3,065 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Camping Arches and Canyon lands in mid Sept.

For Canyonlands , Willow Flat CG or Dead Horse State Park will put you up at Island in the sky. There are others on the way up to the park if you can't find anything at either of the first 2.

In Arches, the Devils Garden CG is all the way at the end of the park.

I think you can make resos for any of these 3. All of these cg's are up higher in elevation, and could have colder night time temps. You could opt for lower camping along the river on the Potash rd or upstream on rt128. Many established cg's along the river.

Mentioned in this post
Island in the Sky
Island in the Sky
541 Reviews
Canyonlands National Park, UT
Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
33 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Camping Arches and Canyon lands in mid Sept.

Thank you so much for you input. What do you think of the land managemnt cg if the ones in the NP's are full?

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
3,065 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Camping Arches and Canyon lands in mid Sept.

Yes, most of these are fine. There is a lot of camping along the Colorado River. We had the group site at Onion Creek a few years ago. Stunning views of Fisher Towers. Places on the river with similar views.

www.discovermoab.com/campgrounds_blm.htm

Mentioned in this post
Fisher Towers
Fisher Towers
85 Reviews
Utah
Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
Level Contributor
6,980 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Camping Arches and Canyon lands in mid Sept.

I cannot offer the experience that Powderglut has, but I can say a couple of things. Reservations should still be an option at Devils Garden and Dead Horse SP in September. If that is the route you want to take, then see what is available.

Willow Flat is a FCFS, and is small. I would not want to drive up to Canyonlands just to check out if there are any spots. If this is the first spot you visit, I assume you can inquire at the visitor center.

The scenery along SR128 is indeed as spectacular as you are going to find with the sculpted spires and cliffs of sandstone along the Colorado. The road is a bit narrow and winding. Not sure if you want to make the drive out and back from Moab for four/five days if you do not snag the closer campgrounds.

The commercial campgrounds in Moab would be the better option if I was to choose, but this is not my trip. In Moab, the balance of the campgrounds should be reservable which you want, also can have showers and hookups. Camping in Moab allows you to be central to town for supplies and possibly restaurants, plus it allows you to be central to the surrounding parks and BLM features. Moab also sits in a valley/canyon, so the scenery is not all that bad.

Hope this helps, but again, I have no camping experience.

Mentioned in this post
Colorado
Colorado
United States
Moab
Moab
Utah
Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
33 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Camping Arches and Canyon lands in mid Sept.

Thanks, that is quite helpful

7. Re: Camping Arches and Canyon lands in mid Sept.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, April 15, 2015