We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a visit in May

LouisvilleKY
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Planning a visit in May

We are planning on visiting Arches Sunday May 12th. I have come up with an itinerary and have a few questions and would welcome any comments or suggestions. A little background about me and my husband: We are both 40-50 years old and in ok shape. I have type 2 diabetes but it is under control. In addition to hiking around our neck of the woods (ky/tn) we hiked in August in New Mexico with no problems so I think we will be fine. I also have the beginnings of arthritis in my ankles so while I can do the hiking I am a little slower than most 40-50 year olds. With that being said ….

Our First hike is going to be Windows Primitive Loop Trail. It is 1.2 miles round trip. We will see North Window, South Window and Turret Arch. This will take us back to the parking lot where we will take the second hike. Our Second hike is to Double Arch. It is a 0.5 mile round trip. After that we plan to go to the Devils Garden. I have read that the parking lot for the Devils Garden fills up early. If I make this my third hike of the day what do you think is the latest I can arrive at the parking lot? Also how far is this parking lot from the Windows parking lot? My Third Hike will be at the Devils Garden. We will see 1st Pine Tree Arch and Tunnel Arch. 2nd Landscape Arch. 3rd Wall Arch 4th Partition Arch and Navajo Arch 5th Double O Arch. I am thinking I read if we stop here and go back it would be 4 miles round trip. Does this sound right? Would it be a problem to turn around here? Is the Double O Arch worth the extra hike if we have already seen a double arch? Also is there a place around there to stop and have a small lunch (that we bring)? After a small break here we want to see Delicate Arch but I have read it is best seen around sunset. Do you know around what time sunset is in May? Is there anything else here that we can do that won’t be too strenuous to fill time till sunset? Is it hard to get a parking space before sunset around Delicate Arch? I am hoping this makes sense and is a doable plan as I am a planner much to my husband’s demise. Thanks in advance for reading this and for any insight or advice you can provide.

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,636 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning a visit in May

Wow, and I thought I was a detailed planner. You are in a whole other league!

OK, you have listed off several great hikes. I think that you sholud be able to do all these hikes in a day.

The hikes in the Windows Section are easy and short. I recommend going early as this is a great place for sunrise (actually the best light is 30-40 minutes after sunrise with Turret Arch is in full light.

Devil's Garden is a great hike. If you do Windows early, you shold be able to get a spot to park in or near the Devils Garden parking lot. The access road leading to the parking lot has a wide shoulder, so there is parking along the road as well. I would absolutely go to Double O Arch (it is completely different than Double Arch at Windows...shoot all the arches are unique). By the time that you reach Double O, it will not be too much longer just to complete the loop as oppposed to turning back. The entire loop is nearly 7 miles.

The trail to Delicate Arch is uphill almost all the way, but the pay-off is awesome. Sunset is the time to go. Parking can be a problem, so you just have to take your chances. Since you are a slower hiker, go a little early; that will also help with the parking. Also, make sure that you have a flashlight or head lamp for the return hike.

Here's the link to the trip report that I drafted on my recent trip to Moab. We spent some time in Arches and did The Windows, Devil's Garden and Deilcate Arch (and some other stuff).

ohiohickpresents.weebly.com/tr---ut-2012.html

Within this report there are links to photos and links to the trail maps (on Every Trail). Those may hlep you as well.

Here's the link to the map of Arhces from the NPS website:

nps.gov/arch/planyourvisit/upload/ARCHmap.pdf

You will notice that The Windows and Devil's Garden are sort of at opposite ends of the park, but that is really not a big issue.

As for sunrise and sunset times, try this:

www.moab-utah.com/rack/sunrise/sunrise.html

Edited: 7:30 pm, January 18, 2013
LouisvilleKY
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning a visit in May

Thanks for the information. I am really looking forward to our trip. Your travel log and pictures was great. I am an avid scrapbooker so I am looking forward to the 100's of pictures we are planning to take. I am now going to work on figuring out what we want to do with the rest of our days in Moab.

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,636 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning a visit in May

So you have more than just the one day in Moab? That's great as there is a lot to do. Plus perhaps you can have some addtional time for Arches. Maybe try the Fiery Furnace hike?

I'm glad that you like my travel log. I reckon I'm a scrapbooker as well, I just use a digital media.

How much time to you have in Moab? Make sure to checkout Canyonlands National Park as Dead Horse Point State Park. There are other nice hikes in the area outside the parks as well.

LouisvilleKY
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning a visit in May

I had thought about the Fiery Furnace hike but did not know if I could keep up with everyone. As of now we plan on being in Moab Sat - Wed but that might change as we have a later flight out of SLC on Fri.

Sun we plan on going to Arches

Mon we are thinking about a 1/2 day morning rafting trip, mill canyon dinosaur trail and the bar m chuckwagon

Tues we are thinking Island in the Sky and Dead Horse Point

Wed we plan on heading toward SLC, stopping at sego canyon and seeing the ghost town, maybe the Hole N the Rock House and of some of the scrapbook stores in Provo.

Thurs we are thinking about wandering around SLC but not sure if there is enough to occupy us for a full day

Fri we are coming home

We are so excited and can not wait. I just booked our airfare and all I need now is renting a car.

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,636 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning a visit in May

Sounds like a great trip. I bet you have a wonderful time.

Regarding the Fiery Furnace, do not worry about the pace. The route through the FF is only about 2 miles and you will take 3 hours to cover this distance. There are many stops along the way and the Ranger who guides the trip does a great job in keeping the group together. I hiked FF last fall with a group of 20 friends of all ages (from late 40s to early 70s) and abilities and everyone had a ball and made it through with no problems. I say give it a shot.

Here's my review of the hike on EveryTrail (I also posted a review here on TA but the EveryTrail page has more photos and the GPS trace of the hiking route):

www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php…

Bedford,U.K
Level Contributor
1,185 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning a visit in May

When i visited i wanted to do all and see all.

Believe me, double O arch is worth it (just for the fun of the trail) if you are already en-route, but if i recall correctly, you have a bit of scrambling and have to walk across a fin, so bear that in mind.

I stand to be corrected thou.

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,636 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning a visit in May

I don't recall any real scrambling along the trail through the Devil's Garden from my trek through there back in October. The closest was a slight drop from where the trail runs along the back of a sandstone ridge/fin (just a couple feet really). It is a great hike. Double O is well worth the walk.

Moab, Utah
Destination Expert
for Moab
Level Contributor
3,331 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Planning a visit in May

There is scrambling over rocks in the Devils Garden if you take the primitive loop to or from Double O. It's not real difficult and very worthwhile to make it a circuit. If there was an easier direction to handle it I would say come back the primitive way.

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,636 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Planning a visit in May

I'm not recalling any scrambling along the primitive travel. other then at maybe one place where you may want to sit and slide down from athe base of a sandstone fin. What am I forgetting?

10. Re: Planning a visit in May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, January 27, 2014