We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Delicate Arch or Devils Garden trail at sunrise?

London, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Delicate Arch or Devils Garden trail at sunrise?

I'll be traveling to Arches NP next year, I'll be arriving in Moab late in the evening and staying overnight, i was planning on getting up early(5am) and catching the sun-rise in the park, however ill need to be back on the road by @2pm heading for monument Valley.

Can anyone recommend the best trail to hike for sunrise and also taking into account we do not have a huge amount of time so would like to fit as much of the sights in as possible....

any help would be greatly appreciated..(we are a couple in our late 20's and reasonably fit)

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
17,503 posts
403 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Delicate Arch or Devils Garden trail at sunrise?

For sure not Delicate Arch - much better for sunset. Devil's Garden is pretty decent and will give you a good morning hike with nice early morning sun. While this doesn't give you as much of an interesting hike, the Park Avenue and Courthouse Towers area is very, very nice at sunrise, as is the Windows Section. Both areas are also a bit closer to reach than Devil's Garden, albeit saving you maybe 10-15 minutes.

Here's a few sunrise photographs to whet your appetite:

Courthouse

www.flickr.com/photos/tkellyphoto/7004876132/

www.flickr.com/photos/tkellyphoto/5989981073/

Windows

www.flickr.com/photos/tkellyphoto/7225075968/

Have fun.

Salt Lake City, UT
Level Contributor
908 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Delicate Arch or Devils Garden trail at sunrise?

If you're very interested in taking photos that look like the professional ones you've no doubt seen, then you'd have to do Delicate Arch at sunset. But, if that is not a primary interest, I'd seriously consider doing the hike at sunrise, in order to beat the crowds and (depending on what month you're going), the heat. Devils Garden is a great choice too.

London, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Delicate Arch or Devils Garden trail at sunrise?

Hi guys thanks for getting back to me, i'm visiting a few different parks and trying to pack in as much as possible. Your comments are a great help

jamie

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
56,473 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Delicate Arch or Devils Garden trail at sunrise?

Sometimes packing in as much as possible means squeezing out the quality of your vacation. Think about it.

As for sunrise at Arches, I got some of my best morning photos at Windows.

London, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Delicate Arch or Devils Garden trail at sunrise?

hi RedRox,

I've came across your comments on other parks and they are always very useful with clear information, thanks for all the effort you put into it.

I think I've decided on the following for Arches NP

We'll catch sunrise from devils garden, this hike will take us @4 hours and let us see a good number of arches, we should be finished there at about 11am and then head over and do the Windows section, all going well i hope to be high tailing it for monument valley at about 2pm. (giving us time to enjoy the drive to MV and be in time for sunset there @8pm).

Ambitious schedule...but this is probably the only time ill ever be int his part of the world!

Jamie

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,636 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Delicate Arch or Devils Garden trail at sunrise?

Great advice thus far. Heed the sage words from RedRox about trying to squeeze in too much.

Devil's Garden and Delicate Arch are both great hikes, but are completely different. The hike to Delicate Arch is more about the destination while Devil's Garden is more about the journey. There several arches in the Devil's Garden plus the fins and other formations. I reckon there are good photo ops in the Garden at all times of day.

The best sunrise location is Windows, IMO. Here's the link to the trip report I wrote on a the recent meet-up in Moab; this contains some information on Devil's Garden, Delicate Arch and the sunrise shots in the Windows section of the park, perhaps it will be of use to you:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60724-i814-k58361…

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,636 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Delicate Arch or Devils Garden trail at sunrise?

I just crossed posted my comments with you last post Jamie. I think you should reverse the order and do the Windows first to get the bet light, then head to Devil's Garden. At least that is the way that I would do it.

8. Re: Delicate Arch or Devils Garden trail at sunrise?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 am, December 14, 2013