We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best campground for a smaller RV?

Napa Valley, CA
Level Contributor
2,325 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Best campground for a smaller RV?

We are in the beginning stages of planning a trip to Arches, Zion, Bryce, and the Grand Canyon for next May. We have a 24 foot motor home. We have always been tent campers and have avoided RV campgrounds and the noise that comes with them. But here we are...I have been looking a bit and see there are some RV campground but I think we would prefer some of the regular campgrounds in the park that allow RVs. Any personal suggestions before I begin to narrow our search? We plan to spend 3 -4 nights to really explore the park.

8 replies to this topic
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City, Lake Powell
Level Contributor
19,778 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best campground for a smaller RV?

Since there's one campground in Arches, the decision of where you camp may have already been made for you. You can make reservations in Devils Garden Campground. Depending on your May dates, you are already with in that 6 month window.

Munich
Level Contributor
9,932 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best campground for a smaller RV?

We stayed at Devils Garden CG with an 25 ft. RV and it was no problem. But book it as soon as possible, it fills up very fast.

Beate

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
16,493 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best campground for a smaller RV?

Devil's Garden is a great place to spend a couple nights exploring Arches and I love to camp there whenever we can. However it is not as good a place from which to explore much of the surrounding Moab area due to the long drive from the end of the park, where it is, to the entrance. I mention this since you are planning 3-4 days for the park. That actually is a fairly long time to spend just on Arches. You might consider moving to one of the BLM campgrounds along the river on hwy 128 for a night or two.

Munich
Level Contributor
9,932 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best campground for a smaller RV?

Good suggestions above. 3 nights, means 2 full days, is a good time, maybe one day longer. But 4 full days could be a bit long in the park. So the campgrounds on hwy 128 oder on the other side on hwy 279 are a good choice.

Beate

South Jersey, USA
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
11,047 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best campground for a smaller RV?

Here is some info on camping along scenic Rt. 128: www.discovermoab.com/campgrounds_blm.htm

Great place to camp along this route but they do fill quickly especially those that are closest to Moab!

SJG

Napa Valley, CA
Level Contributor
2,325 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best campground for a smaller RV?

Thank you all. We are still a few days early for making reservations for our dates in late May. Devil's Garden looks great for 2-3 nights, then maybe one more night closer to Moab.

Napa Valley, CA
Level Contributor
2,325 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best campground for a smaller RV?

We were just successful in getting a 3 night reservation for a site we had picked in Devil's Garden Campground for May 16 -19. Now we are going to add a night or two in Moab before going to Devil's Garden. I am afraid the BLM sites will be full that time of year so we may make a back up reservation in one of the RV campgrounds right in Moab. Then we can visit Canyonlands and other sites nearby. Does that sound like a good idea?

Munich
Level Contributor
9,932 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best campground for a smaller RV?

If you want to be on the safe side is it a good idea. But be carefull, lots of RV-parks in Moab are very noisy, because they are on the main road.

Otherwise you could have the same (loud overnight staying) for 5 US-Dollar: On the turn-off from Hwy. 191 to hwy 313 (Dead Horse state park) is a large Truck-Parking side. Here you could stay if you don't get a campsite on Hwwy 128 or hwy 279.

Beate

Reply to: Best campground for a smaller RV?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted