We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Confusion between “Ocean Path” and “Shore Trail”

North Brunswick...
Level Contributor
101 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
Confusion between “Ocean Path” and “Shore Trail”

While reading reviews of Bar Harbor attractions and simple hikes in Acadia, I came across two similar things – Ocean Path and Shore trails. Can someone clarify what is where, and what is special about each?

Also, after learning that Precipice trail would be closed, we are planning on Beehive trail, Great head trail and Jordon pond (perimeter) trail. Would Sargent mountain hike be open? Is it worth?

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
7,456 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Confusion between “Ocean Path” and “Shore Trail”

You would have to tell me in what publication you read those terms "ocean path" and "shore trail". Those aren't official names of anything. Generally, "the shore path" is the term used for a less-than-a-mile path that is right in the village of Bar Harbor. It runs along Frenchman Bay from the Bar Harbor Inn, past mansions on your right and to your left the Porcupine Islands (and sometimes a cruise ship). It's a nice stroll in the early morning -- early enough and you might even see the sun rise.

The Ocean Trail might refer to a longer walk that runs from Sand Beach, in Acadia National Park, to Otter Cliffs. It too runs right along the water and the rocky shore, passing Thunder Hole on the way toward Otter Cliff. It's an out and back trail, although there is a way that you can make it partly into a circle. Best to get a good map and take it with you while you hike. There are many, many intersecting trails in Acadia.

Be sure you understand that the Beehive Trail has iron rungs and is dangerous. It's more like a technical climb than a pleasant hike through the woods. There are a number of trails on Sargent Mountain and nearby Penobscot Mountain. They are all open except for the Jordan Cliffs trail, where there are nesting peregrine falcons. Yes, it's worth it, although most every route you might take will take you much longer than the other hikes you have mentioned.

North Brunswick...
Level Contributor
101 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Confusion between “Ocean Path” and “Shore Trail”

yes, I meant "Ocean trail" and "shore path"...but now I'm clear about it. Thanks.

We are active couple and have done some good hikes together. I've done grand canyon rim-to-rim and angel's landing in zion; so, I'm excited about Beehive trail!

3. Re: Confusion between “Ocean Path” and “Shore Trail”

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, June 14, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Acadia National Park