We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help with itinerary for 7 day trip in June begining

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Need help with itinerary for 7 day trip in June begining

Hello fellow travellers,

Little bit about us - we are a couple in our early 30's with a 10month old kid! So our son will be just 13 months when we travel to Maine (from Indianapolis). This will be our first visit to Maine/Acadia, so we need some help with planning our trip in June first week considering restrictions involved with what we can do with 1 year old. We want it to be a relaxed trip, but see what we can. We both love scenic places. Would really appreciate if you can tell which places can we realistically see in Acadia and Maine in general (Portland,Boothbay?), and how best to use our time.

We are also planning to spend couple of days in Boston if possible. Any help is appreciated!

Mentioned in this post
Maine
Maine
United States
Acadia National Park
Acadia National Park
Mount Desert Island, ME
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,897 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help with itinerary for 7 day trip in June begining

Numerous options, of course.... and others may have different (better) suggestions.... but from what you've told us, I'd think about something like --

Day 1 -- Fly Indianapolis to Boston, pick up rental car, drive to Bar Harbor (about five hours via I-95 north from Boston to Bangor, ME; I-396 from Bangor to Brewer; US Rt 1A south to Ellsworth; ME Rt 3 to Bar Harbor -- the fastest, easiest way from Boston to Bar Harbor, getting you there as quickly as possible).

Overnight: Bar Harbor If you get into town early enough, make your first stop at the Acadia National Park Visitor's Center (on your right as you climb the hill leaving the village of Hull's Cove on Rt 3 before you actually reach Bar Harbor proper). The staff and rangers there can help you plan your Park visit to match the time available and address your "young one" concerns as well.

Day 2 -- Explore Acadia National Park -- if you didn't do it on your way into town yesterday, stop at the Acadia National Park Visitors Center...If you got there yesterday, start your Park visit..... overnight again Bar Harbor.

Day 3 -- Continue Acadia National Park/Bar Harbor visit, maybe including a side trip to one of the other local towns as well (Southwest or Northeast Harbor come to mind). Another night in Bar Harbor.

Day 4 -- Early morning start back to Ellsworth, then south on US Rt 1 to Rt 27 south to Boothbay Harbor. Along the way today, consider stops at Mt Battie Auto Road in Camden Hills State Park (on Rt 1 just north of village of Camden), Camden Harbor (easy parking with nice boardwalk and benches); and Rockland Breakwater/Lighthouse. Driving time Bar Harbor to Boothbay Harbor is about 3 hours not counting stops along the way. In Boothbay Harbor, visit the Botanical Gardens and plan an evening drive out ME Rt 96 through East Boothbay to Ocean Point -- great view of the water and sunset. Overnight Boothbay Harbor.

Day 5 -- Spend the morning in Boothbay Harbor village, then head south (ME Rt 27 north to US Rt 1, US Rt 1 south to I-295 in Topsham/Brunswick, I-295 south to I-95 to Boston). The objective is to get into Boston before 3:30PM when the evening rush hour begins. Return your rental car and use public transportation for your two days in Boston -- you don't need a car to enjoy the city and traffic, parking and driving the old city streets are not a fun experience. Overnight Boston

Day 6 -- Touring Boston -- overnight Boston

Day 7 -- Bostonn touring and flight home.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Bangor
Bangor
Maine
Ellsworth
Ellsworth
DownEast and Acadia Maine, ME
Bar Harbor
Bar Harbor
Mount Desert Island, ME
Acadia National Park
Acadia National Park
Mount Desert Island, ME
Boothbay Harbor
Boothbay Harbor
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Camden Hills State Park
Camden Hills State Park
615 Reviews
Camden, ME
Camden
Camden
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Rockland
Rockland
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,824 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help with itinerary for 7 day trip in June begining

Having a small child shouldn't slow you down at all in Acadia. You can rent bikes with a pull-along carriage for the baby. With that you can bike all the carriage roads, stopping for tea and popovers on the lawn at the Jordan Pond House. Bar Harbor is fairly child-friendly. Good places to eat with a little one: McKay's, Galyn's, Geddy's, West Street Café, Stewman's Lobster Pound, and many others.

Mentioned in this post
Acadia National Park
Acadia National Park
Mount Desert Island, ME
Bar Harbor
Bar Harbor
Mount Desert Island, ME
Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help with itinerary for 7 day trip in June begining

Thanks for the help MainerOnTheGo and bonniemaev!

Boston...
Level Contributor
48 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help with itinerary for 7 day trip in June begining

Do a duck boat tour in Boston. WWII era amphibious vehicles will quickly show you many of the must-see sights in Boston. Wicked good way to see the city with the little one!

http://www.bostonducktours.com/

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
5. Re: Need help with itinerary for 7 day trip in June begining

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, April 03, 2015