We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arcadia Lodging

Glen Ellyn, Illinois
Level Contributor
214 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Arcadia Lodging

If we plan a trip in early September, where is the best place to stay?

Thanks for any help!

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,815 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arcadia Lodging

When you are planning and searching, be sure to note that there is no " R " in Acadia National Park.

I'm not sure there is "a best" place to stay. It depends on the kind of accommodation that you enjoy. Do you like a waterfront luxury hotel? Then try the Bar Harbor Inn or Harborside Hotel and Marina or West Street Hotel in Bar Harbor. Do you like an old wooden hotel? Try the Asticou Inn or The Claremont. Do you like a quaint Bed and Breakfast with congenial hosts filled with local information? Then take a look at www.sleepbarharbor.com. Do you want to rent a house? Any place on Mount Desert Island will put you in short driving distance of Acadia National Park. You can search on Southwest Harbor, Northeast Harbor, Bar Harbor, Somesville -- all small towns on MDI. Do you hate the very idea of seeing a cruise ship person on the sidewalks between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m.? Then don't stay right in the village of Bar Harbor. September is prime cruise ship season. The ships can't dock. But they do tender in groups of people who then take bus tours of the Park or mill around the shops on Bar Harbor's two commercial streets.

You can also look around at http://www.acadiamagic.com/. Lots of information there.

Mentioned in this post
Bar Harbor Inn
Bar Harbor Inn
1,780 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
West Street Hotel
West Street Hotel
735 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Harborside Hotel & Marina
Harborside Hotel & Marina
1,203 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Asticou Inn
Asticou Inn
258 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Mount Desert Island
Mount Desert Island
2,419 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Acadia National Park
Acadia National Park
Mount Desert Island, ME
Bar Harbor
Bar Harbor
Mount Desert Island, ME
Southwest Harbor
Southwest Harbor
Mount Desert Island, ME
Glen Ellyn, Illinois
Level Contributor
214 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arcadia Lodging

Thank you!!!

Glen Ellyn, Illinois
Level Contributor
214 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arcadia Lodging

Bonnie,

Thank you for your earlier post...the cruise ship is a wonderful point I appreciate!!! I definitely want to avoid the crowds. Given the little I have read about the traffic, is there an advantage of the Asticou Inn or The Claremont? They both look wonderful, but I didn't know if one location is better over the other.

Again, THANK YOU, for your insight, I totally appreciate it!

Mentioned in this post
Asticou Inn
Asticou Inn
258 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,815 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arcadia Lodging

If you are coming in September of this year, you might be better off staying at The Asticou. There will be road construction in Southwest Harbor that you will have to negotiate to stay at The Claremont. The Asticou also has a slightly better location for touring the main part of Acadia National Park.

Mentioned in this post
Southwest Harbor
Southwest Harbor
Mount Desert Island, ME
Acadia National Park
Acadia National Park
Mount Desert Island, ME
Glen Ellyn, Illinois
Level Contributor
214 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arcadia Lodging

Thank you!!!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
21 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Arcadia Lodging

We've been big fans of Acadia Cottages in SWH for years. While this property may be impacted by the coming construction, September is lightly trafficked in comparison to July and August, so any back-ups likely will be mitigated. The property offers self-catering cabins, neither rustic nor upscale, impeccably clean and maintained, and with full kitchens, you have the option of dining in or out--not always the case with many rental properties unless you stay in a house. But bonniemaev is indeed correct: The "best" for you really depends on your preferences. Ditto the acadiamagic.com website suggested for good, one-stop starter info. Good luck!

Mentioned in this post
Acadia Cottages
Acadia Cottages
114 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Ormond Beach...
Level Contributor
103 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Arcadia Lodging

We loved the Atlantic Elyrie Lodge on Norman Rd...have stayed here in 2012 and have res for sept 2014.....around the cornor fr Bar Harbour and Arcadia.... Best view ever...3rd or 4th fl

8. Re: Arcadia Lodging

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, March 29, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Acadia National Park