We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Over Dorr or Around Dorr

Lehigh Valley, PA
Level Contributor
911 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Over Dorr or Around Dorr

I'm planning a hike either over Dorr Mountain (Sieur de Mont to Strath Eden to Hemlock to Dorr North to Dorr South to Canon Brook to Tarn to Jessup and back to Sieur de Mont) or around Dorr (same idea but Gorge Path and A. Murray Young instead of Dorr North and South).

Anyone out there do these two and can compare them for scenery, difficulty, etc.?

Central New Jersey
Level Contributor
391 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Over Dorr or Around Dorr

Hi!

I've hiked the Dorr Mt. N. Ridge trail up, and down via the Strath Eden trail. We parked at the Kebo Mt. area on the Loop Rd. Nice and not too hard. Also hiked from the summit of Cadillac down via the Gorge Trail to the Loop Rd, beautiful views initally but kind of a rock scramble. Then it becomes a walk in the woods along a brook (I think Kebo Brook). You can never go wrong with a hike in Acadia!

Virginia
Level Contributor
291 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Over Dorr or Around Dorr

We didnt hike Dorr exactly as you planned but I wanted to add that you may want to check out the 'Homan's Path'. Its quite impressive. Basically its an abandoned pink granite staircase that was re-opened a few years ago. It can be accessed via the Jessup Path and it goes to the East Face Trail. While it grades as strenuous (I believe) we found the footing to be very good and the views excellent. There were no rungs on this trail. There are some excellent views of the Tarn too. IMO the reason it might be deemed 'strenuous' is the cardio workout those granite steps will give you.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,861 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Over Dorr or Around Dorr

RE: Homan's Path (and other stair trails). I haven't looked lately (and different sources grade trails differently) but I imagine that all stair trails grade out strenuous or close to it. They do tend to rise steeply and the stairs might tempt one to climb at faster rate than one would on a more conventional trail.

Pathmakers---the new book by the Olmsted Center on the trails (paths) of MDI---mentions nothing about about degree of difficulty. I didn't find it all that bad---but then, I stopped to enjoy the view often.

Lehigh Valley, PA
Level Contributor
911 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Over Dorr or Around Dorr

Thanks for the comments thus far.

I originally had planned to do the over Dorr route. But I just remember some folks we met along the trails last year telling us how much they liked Gorge Trail. One went so far as to say it was his favorite hike and another called it one of the, if not the, most beautiful trails in the park. That got me thinking about the around Dorr route.

I came up with these routes (only to find that St. Germain already described them in "A Walk in the Park") because I was interested in Dorr but also wanted to hike the Tarn Trail. We have stopped by the Tarn many times on the Route 3 side but have never gotten around to hiking the trail on the other side. Ergo, the loop hikes.

I'd still like to hear a little more about these hikes. One question for those who have hiked up the North Ridge of Dorr. How would you describe it's steepness? I keep looking at a photo I took from Bar Island and, compared to Cadillac South or North, Dorr looks like a much steeper hike. Yet it is rated as just moderate so how bad can it be?!?!?

Bradley, Maine
Level Contributor
685 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Over Dorr or Around Dorr

I've never done the first option (other than the stratheden area) But the Gorge path is, well.... a trip. It can get very difficult (depending on weather and preparedness). As far as prefference, that really depends.

The A. Murray Young, lower portion is really beautiful as you cross the brook runoff and climb following the running water. As you get into the gorge, it's boulders. All boulders. Boulders, boulders boulders. As far as difficulty, well, even my 4 month old minpin did it (with some help). The thing to be concerned about is the heat. You don't want to be in the middle of the gorge on exposed hot granite, low on water in the high heat of the day. It was really neat and different then most Acadia trails that I'm accostomed to. Not my favorite, but certainly a good workout.

Central New Jersey
Level Contributor
391 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Over Dorr or Around Dorr

A hiking book that I've found helpful for planning alternate routes to the ones suggested by "A Walk in the Park" is "Hiking Acadia Nat'l Park"(A Falcon Guide) by Dolores Kong and Dan Ring. It highlights alternate connecting trails and details info. regarding elevations via a graph. i've found it a good additon to my Acadia hiking library. By consulting these various books you can get a pretty good handle on what you're going to encounter on your hike.

Lehigh Valley, PA
Level Contributor
911 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Over Dorr or Around Dorr

Bayley,

Before I forget, I'm curious where you are in Central NJ (Hunterdon County, Mercer County?) and when you generally head up to Acadia. It sounds like you might be a July/August visitor. We're September visitors.

Anyway, yes the Kong and Ring book is very helpful as can be the Monkman book. The Map Adventures map the cw mentioned is an excellent map and the most up-to-date of the three or four that I have on hand.

The thing is that once I have completed creating a hike, I generally find something pretty darn close in St. Germain.

We're spending the full week in Bar Harbor/Acadia so we have a bunch of hikes planned. Dorr is just one of them. We also plan to do Cadillac again (this time North Ridge to South Ridge and possibly down Pond Trail), Sargent and Penobscot (you were going back and forth with cw on that one) and the Perpendicular Trail as well as a number of flatter hikes.

Central New Jersey
Level Contributor
391 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Over Dorr or Around Dorr

I work in central New Jersey, live in northern New Jersey. We visit Acadia for two weeks in July, and have gone there in the winter too to see what it's like (cold!!! but beautiful). I don't know the other book you mentioned, I'll have to check it out. Have you ever hiked from the town of Bar Harbor to the Tarn and Sieur de Mont? Looks like a pretty easy stroll for a hot day, at least relatively flat!

Lehigh Valley, PA
Level Contributor
911 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Over Dorr or Around Dorr

No I haven't done the Great Meadow hike from town to Sieur de Monts. I believe it is mapped in Bar the Harbor Chamber of Commerce brochure for this year and last. I do vaguely recall reading something about that hike from one of the locals. It sounded like a very nice walk in the park.

If you've been to Acadia in winter, you might really enjoy a book called "Acadia: Soul of a National Park" by Steve Perrin. I read it this winter and thought it was fascinating. Perrin takes the reader through a series of hikes in the park by season. Some of his essays about winter hikes (snowshoes, etc) were absolutely fascinating (heck, so were his spring, summer and fall hikes). I also liked his writing style - a bit Thoreau-esque.

Monkman's book is interesting because it includes quite a bit about the carriage roads since it covers biking trails as well as hiking trails. As a matter of fact, we plan to hike a couple of carriage trails following the bike routes he's outlined. If you are interested in such things, the book also includes so kayak trips as well. The book is "Discover Acadia National Park" and is an Appalacian Mountain Club publication. It is available from Amazon as well as some local bookshops (Barnes & Noble).

Guess you should be getting ready to go. Hope you have a great time. And hey, if you get the chance, check out the Pond Trail from the Featherbed on Cadillac Mountain to Jordan Pond House. I'd like a first-hand report on how it is (my Pond Trail thread here on Trip Advisor is languishing; all I know is it is rated strenuous and has iron rungs along the way) and see if I want to head that route or just do Cadillac North Ridge to South Ridge to Blackwoods.

Have fun.

Central New Jersey
Level Contributor
391 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Over Dorr or Around Dorr

I have Steve Perrin's Acadia book and have enjoyed it very much. In addition to that book, he has two other small "photo" type books: " The Shore Path" and "Acadia's Native Flowers, Fruits and Wildlife". I got them at Sherman's a few years ago and refer to them when I need an Acadia fix, especially in the winter. He is also available via his website (which is in the front of the book) to answer questions. I wrote him last year and asked him to identify a plant that I saw on the shore path and he replied promptly.

I may try the Pond Trail this year, my son did it last year and he is the source of my information. I continued down the South Ridge Trail from the North Ridge while he made the turn west. I'm thinking that I may cheat a little and start from the summit of Cadillac where my husband would drop me off and then we could meet at Jordan Pond for lunch. Sounds like a plan!

I'm bringing my laptop to Bar Harbor and understand that the Village Green is wireless, so I hope to log in there. If I do the Pond Trail, I'll post a review.