We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Want to stay at water in Mid June 2013 at acadia area

Monette
Level Contributor
49 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Want to stay at water in Mid June 2013 at acadia area

We are from Arkansas making our first trip to Maine next month. Would love to stay at the waters edge. Would like something other than motel/hotel setting. Have found several on VRBO but only rent for week. We only have 3 nites starting on a Wednesday. We also don't want to have to break the bank. We aren't apposed to camping if someone can suggest good place. Would also love to Whale watch while up that way.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
5,912 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Want to stay at water in Mid June 2013 at acadia area

I know you are looking at Seawall, which would be good. You could also check out this place:

http://www.edgewaterbarharbor.com/

It's not the usual motel and is very near the water. It's a bit to the north of the village of Bar Harbor. Reasonably priced. Well-run.

Monette
Level Contributor
49 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Want to stay at water in Mid June 2013 at acadia area

Thank you very much. I do like this one as well. Something I read said that Seawall is about a half hour drive from Acadia. Kind of wanted to be a bit closer since that's where we plan on spending a lot of our time.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
5,912 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Want to stay at water in Mid June 2013 at acadia area

Acadia National Park is rather unlike other national parks. It isn't one block of land. It has parts, throughout Mount Desert Island, and even two parts that are not on Mount Desert Island -- a section of Isle au Haut and the point of Schoodic Peninusula.

When you are at Seawall, you are quite close to two of Acadia's hikes: Ship Harbor and the Wonderland Trail. You are also very close to one of the two campgrounds within the Park, Seawall. There is also the Seawall picnic area, very nearby.

But it is true that you are about 30 minutes from the biggest segment of Acadia, which is where the 20+ mile Park Loop Road. Off the Park Loop Road you will find many of the most famous landmarks: Sand Beach, Thunder Hole, Otter Cliffs, Jordan Pond, and the spur road up to the top of Cadillac Mountain.

Only you can decide which of the two properties (or some place completely different) would be most to your liking. There are some advantages to being close to Bar Harbor, given that most of the restaurants in the area and most, but not all, of the water activities, bike rental, kayak tours, free shuttle buses center on Bar Harbor. On the other hand, it can be very nice at the end of the day to leave the center of activity and retire to the quieter side of the island.

Monette
Level Contributor
49 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Want to stay at water in Mid June 2013 at acadia area

I agree with the getting away from it all. That is what we like to do. I've also just received an answer from a property called Emery's cottages on Frenchman's Bay. They are 150 yards from the water. I just found the Seawall campground last night late and was going to check it out more today. Do you know if it is close to the motel?

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
5,912 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Want to stay at water in Mid June 2013 at acadia area

Yes, the Seawall Campground is a bit down the road from the motel. However, the campsites are not on the water and half of the sites are on a first come, first serve basis. The campground is run by Acadia National Park.

nps.gov/acad/…seawallcampground.htm

6. Re: Want to stay at water in Mid June 2013 at acadia area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, May 13, 2014