We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camping in Acadia next week -- what to bring?

South Orange, NJ
Level Contributor
42 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Camping in Acadia next week -- what to bring?

My husband, two kids (4 and 6), and I are camping in Acadia National Park next week. We can't wait! I'm sitting here trying to get the packing organized, and wondering what the break down of warm weather vs. cool weather clothes should be.

Based on the weather forecast, I'm thinking we will be fine in shorts and t's during the day. However, should I plan to bring a couple of pairs of long pants each, a fleece and some long-sleeved shirts for the evenings, and rain jackets. Does this sound right, or should I plan on more warm clothes for day time. I just don't want to end up overpacking, or worse, get up there and realize that we didn't bring the right stuff. And my kids are like dirt-seeking missiles... it's pretty hard to have them repeat clothes much :)

On that note, we are staying at Blackwoods campground... is there a convenient place nearby to do some laundry. We'll be gone for 10 days, so I am sure we'll need to do a load or two at some point.

Thanks in advance for help with this very basic and boring question!

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
3,681 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camping in Acadia next week -- what to bring?

The Bar Harbor experts will weigh in soon, I'm sure, so I'll go at this from a camper's perspective.:-)

I am the first person to feel cold, and even I haven't worn a lot of pants this summer, even when sitting around the campfire. I think you'll be fine with a couple of pairs. I also haven't worn any fleece. Hooded sweatshirts have been my "evening apparel." I think one fleece jacket apiece will do it, but you know your cold tolerance better than we do. Rain jackets are a must! I'd also throw in some bug spray and some citronella candles or get some when you arrive.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,861 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Camping in Acadia next week -- what to bring?

I'm not a camper and I hope that others more familiar with Blackwoods can answer the laundry question (there is a laundromat in Bar Harbor, just off Cottage Street and across Holland St. from Paradis Hardware).

What I've seen on the long-term forecast suggests that the weather will pretty much continue as it has been through August this far---highs in the mid to upper 70s for the most part, lows in the high 50s to low 60s. Rain showers are a definite possibility. The best local forecast that I have seen is at:

http://tinyurl.com/yehcjp8

I think that you have the clothing issue down pretty well. Raingear is always a good idea and if you should pretty much a full day of rain, then long pants and shirts, maybe a very light fleece, would come in handy but I wouldn't overload on "warm" stuff. The raingear would also stand you as windbreakers should you decide to hit Cadillac Mountain summit for sunrise or sunset---sometimes it's T-shirt weather up there, sometimes it's downright brisk.

South Orange, NJ
Level Contributor
42 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Camping in Acadia next week -- what to bring?

Thanks for the quick responses. Very helpful!

4. Re: Camping in Acadia next week -- what to bring?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:16 pm, August 20, 2013