We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Acadia the last week of March

J N
Southbury...
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Topic
Acadia the last week of March

Hi guys

I have a week of vacation to take by the end of March or lose it.

Im thinking of going to Acadia. I was there once for a 3 day conference and would love to go back

I want to hike and I'd like to bike on the carriage trails, I just dont know if they are open

Can anyone let me know if hiking and biking the last week of March is realistic?

Thanks

John

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,653 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Acadia the last week of March

J N --

I have good news and bad news for you....

The annual Spring closure of the carriage trails has already begun. The Park Service closes the carriage roads every spring to protect them from user damage as the winter frost comes out of the ground. The melting frost makes the gravel surface extremely soft and subject to rutting, ponding and other damage. They're are now "closed indefinitely" until things dry out enough to be re-opened without the potential for user-related damage.

However -- as an alternative, the Park Service is noting that the Park Loop Road, which is closed to motor vehicle traffic until early April, is snow-free and available for biking....

The footing for hiking this time of year will definitely vary from place to place --depending on water-content and whether or not the frost has left that ground on a particular trail -- and several trails are closed each year from mid-March to mid-summer to protect bird nesting areas. If you have particular trails in mind, you might check the Acadia National Park website to see if any of those you have in mind are affected....

And remember, the usual Acadia National Park Visitor's Center won't be open yet when you arrive, but you can probably get any information or advice you might need from Park personnel at the Park Headquarters.

2. Re: Acadia the last week of March

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 20, 2013