We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best cruise and fishing trip operators?

Newton...
Level Contributor
35 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Best cruise and fishing trip operators?

During my family's trip to Acadia next week, we want to go on a schooner cruise and I also want to take my son on a fishing trip.

Who is the best schooner cruise operator in the area? I'm reading pretty bad reviews about one cruise operator (Downeast Windjammer) based in Bar Harbor and no review about the other (Downeast Sailing Adventures). So I'm interested in what people think of Downeast Sailing Adventures.

What about fishing trips? Downeast Windjammer has a fishing trip, but its reputation as a cruise operator makes me a little skeptical about its fishing trip. I'm not an angler, so I'm looking for a tour operator that provides all the gear and knowledge.

Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Acadia National Park
Acadia National Park
Mount Desert Island, ME
Bar Harbor
Bar Harbor
Mount Desert Island, ME
Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best cruise and fishing trip operators?

Try looking into Acadia Sailing Company. Captain Jesse started this business this summer he owns an old small sailboat that he refurbished and now he offers three cruises a day for a very reasonable price. We went out with him earlier this summer and had a great time. He takes a max of 6 people per trip.

The Margaret Todd is the other popular schooner that runs out of Bar Harbor - owned by Downeast Windjammer. It has a very good reputation here in town so I'm not sure what you are referring too. Personally, I love to look at the Margaret Todd as it sails in the harbor but I would find it too crowded for my own enjoyment, but that is just my opinion. I prefer something a little quieter.

There are a couple other schooners that leave out of Southwest Harbor - I believe one is called The Chrissy that might be smaller.

Downeast Windjammer is the only fishing trip I've heard of here. I'm pretty sure they provide all the gear for the trip.

Mentioned in this post
Acadia National Park
Acadia National Park
Mount Desert Island, ME
Bar Harbor
Bar Harbor
Mount Desert Island, ME
Southwest Harbor
Southwest Harbor
Mount Desert Island, ME
Bar Harbor
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Best cruise and fishing trip operators?

My Husband, Dan Lunt is the Captain on Tuesday, Wednesdays, and Thursdays on the Tiger Shark Fishing Trip. I have gone out several times with him. His First Mate, Adam, is a great guy too. I find both to be very personable with passengers, relaxed, ( not worried if a pole breaks, or is tangled), and especially attentive to children. The place where they fish - Iron Bound Island - is beautiful! You also get to see some sights along the way - Seals, Egg Rock Light, and the beautiful houses along the shore. Dan has over 30 years experience on the water as a lobster man, and both he and Adam, are very knowledgeable about nature and wildlife. I will post some pictures.

Mentioned in this post
Egg Rock Light
Egg Rock Light
127 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
The Great State of...
Level Contributor
404 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best cruise and fishing trip operators?

Our family took a fishing trip years ago, and I was disappointed because it did not match my expectations.

Perhaps that's because my expectations were inappropriate for what fishing trip means in this region.

I grew up on the Gulf Coast where fishing trips meant big sport fishing boats with not more than a handful of people on a boat and everyone seated in their own chair with lots of personal service. And big fish that put up a fight. This couldn't be farther from the fishing trip we had off of MDI.

Instead, we arrived to find a lobster boat with bench seating, and a couple of dozen people all trying to find a spot where they could sit on the benches. A spot where they wouldn't hit someone else's pole, and a spot where they could cast a line without tangling someone else's line.

Suggestion: that if you have a multi-day stay on MDI you go on an earlier day and meet a boat coming in to see what fishing trip means for that company.If you like what you see, then your expectation should match reality and you should have a great time.

Edited: 9:16 am, July 21, 2012
Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,885 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best cruise and fishing trip operators?

I totally agree with your post, LovingMaine. I've seen the head boats off the North Carolina coast, especially Morehead City. There is nothing like that here that I know of.

Mentioned in this post
5. Re: Best cruise and fishing trip operators?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, July 23, 2013