We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best sunrise and sunset spots

NJ
Level Contributor
259 posts
Save Topic
Best sunrise and sunset spots

We will be visiting Acadia National Park later this month and were trying to find the most scenic spots for sunrise and sunset. We have seen postings that sunrise at Cadillac Mountain is better than sunset. Is it worth all of the extra effort to get the entire family up so early, versus seeing it at sunset?

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor
Level Contributor
1,356 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best sunrise and sunset spots

Cadillac Mountain is best at both times. At sunset, the view from the Blue Hill Overlook is a little better than the summitt of Cadillac, Whether or not you think it's worth getting everyone up is not a decision that I will make for you. There have been some spectacular sunrises and there have been some that are so fogged in that you can't see anything and you won't know which one you are having until it happens. Other great areas for sunrise include Thunder Hole and Otter Cliffs, both facing the east.

Sunset is very nice at the Bass Harbor Lighthouse on the Southern tip of the island. I'm sure sunrise would also be lovely from the Seawall since it also faces east but I have no personal knowledge.

We have many photographers who contribute to this forum so I'm sure they will weigh in with their opinions shortly.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,840 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best sunrise and sunset spots

Sunrise atop Cadillac is certainly the classic spot. However, almost anywhere where you can see the southeastern horizon (or nearly so) is likely to be good.

The same goes for sunset (except of course, you have to be looking southwest). I have photographed sunsets from the shore of Bar Harbor, looking across the exposed bar to Bar Island. Sunset at the Blue Hill Overlook atop Cadillac (a short way from the true summit) is very popular--be careful not to trip over all of the tripods (the photographers are likely to get a mite testy). There is a spot just down the summit road, aptly named Sunset Point, that also is good. It is at a serious turn and has some roadside parking spots delimited.

If you are interested in photography, then in many cases, the light at or near sunset, rather than the sun itself, is important. For that reason, I really like Bass Harbor, especially just after enjoying a lobster at Thurston's.

The Bar Harbor shots I mentioned are at:

https:/…BarHarborSunset

Some of the other sunset and evening light shots are at various of the MDI Summer albums.

Lehigh Valley, PA
Level Contributor
875 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best sunrise and sunset spots

Depends what you want to do. If you just want to see sunrise, then the top of Cadillac with the other couple of hundred people wanting to see sunrise is as good as anyplace. Just know it could be cold, it could be very windy and it could be foggy... very foggy.

I also like sunrise from along the Ocean Drive section of the Park Loop Road. You can go out on the rocks for a terrific view. Just be careful out there particularly with the little ones.

In addition to the Blue Hill Overlook mentioned above for sunset, there is an area of the Park Loop Road overlooking Eagle Lake with can have nice sunset views. And there is a pull out there making parking a little easier. My experience has been that the pull out fills fast though.

As cw mentioned above, if you are looking for first light from a photographic point of view, I enjoy heading over to Bar Island assuming the tides cooperate and the bar is exposed that time of morning and climb to the overlook. You can get a real nice shoot of first light on the village of Bar Harbor and the mountains of Acadia with the harbor in the foreground. Again you have to be carefully especially with younger kids hiking up to the overlook in the dark.

I live for sunrises in Acadia. Sunsets are pretty cool too. The rest of the day... well that's for hiking, eating, shopping and scouting out other areas to photograph.

Check out my website www.edvatza.com. There are a couple of Bar Harbor/Acadia galleries right at the top of the galleries list.

Lehigh Valley, PA
Level Contributor
875 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best sunrise and sunset spots

Oh, worth the extra effort???

The late Galen Rowell (fabulous outdoor photographer who died way to soon in a plane crash) said it best when he said: "You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn't waste either."

NJ
Level Contributor
259 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best sunrise and sunset spots

Thanks for all the advice. Can't wait.

6. Re: Best sunrise and sunset spots

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:15 pm, October 10, 2012