We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

road bike versus mountain bikes on carriage roads

Keene, New Hampshire
1 post
Save Topic
road bike versus mountain bikes on carriage roads

Hello,

i was wondering whether the carriage roads are ridable with road bikes or are mountain bikes a must. My wife an I have quite nice road bikes but would need to rent mountain bikes. Are the carriage road surfaces are hard enough for road bikes? Thanks.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor
Level Contributor
1,367 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: road bike versus mountain bikes on carriage roads

Most of the bike shops rent a hybrid version, not a mountain bike for the carriage roads. The roads are very hard dirt with gravel on top. Not thick gravel. Not being a road biker, I cannot answer but I would recommend that you call the Bar Harbor Bike Shop and ask them. They would be the most knowledgeable.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,845 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: road bike versus mountain bikes on carriage roads

I have seen people on the carriage roads with road bikes, i.e., very narrow tires, and they seem to do OK. However, given that under the best of circumstances, the conditions of the carriage roads can change as one moves along, you might want to rent the hybrid bikes that lbh mentions and save your road bikes for the Loop Road and the road to Cadillac summit.

A word of caution. Unless it is absolutely necessary, stay off of Route 3, especially just north of Hulls Cove. The road is narrow, carries a lot of traffic (including large trucks) and the shoulders in that stretch are narrow if they exist at all.

Rapid City, South...
Level Contributor
88 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: road bike versus mountain bikes on carriage roads

I rented mountain bikes while at Acadia and was glad we did. There are definitely places where the gravel is thick, so I wouldn't recommend a road bike. But if you are already use to riding on gravel, I don't see why you couldn't there.

4. Re: road bike versus mountain bikes on carriage roads

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 am, October 08, 2012