We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Island Explorer Shuttle

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,886 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
The Island Explorer Shuttle

The free shuttle begins operation this Saturday, 23 June. In addition to the usual routes, the Bicycle Express (vans and bike trailers) will run every half-hour (except during noontime) between the village green and the Eagle Lake access to the carriage road system.

This year, the Loop Road route (#4) has been expanded to cover the entire Loop Road beginning and ending at the Hull's Cove visitor center. As usual, outside of the village centers, the buses will stop to pick up/drop off riders anywhere that it is safe to do so.

Schedules and route maps are available nearly everywhere in this area as well as at:

http://www.exploreacadia.com

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
69 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Island Explorer Shuttle

My husband and I will be staying at a B & B in Bar Harbor the second week of Sept. We were considering not getting a rental car and taking advandage of the Island Explorer to get around. I know our B&B is within walking distance of the town itself but do you think we'll be ok without a car during our stay? Is the bus system good for getting around Acadia and going sightseeing and hiking and all that? Thanks for your reply! We have never been up to the northeast and are excited about coming!

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,886 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Island Explorer Shuttle

The Island Explorer will take you just about anyplace in the park that you want to go, except to the Cadillac summit. The schedule is somewhat reduced in September on the major routes and two routes (Loop Raod and Brown Mountain) cease operation on August 31. You might want to check the website at the url above to see if the routes and schedule fit your interests.

Oli's Trolley tours include going to the Cadillac summit.

atlanta
Level Contributor
229 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Island Explorer Shuttle

We just returned from a week there and I recommend having a car, which we did, but my husband was away one day playing golf and I had to manage with the bus. I had to wait an hour for the bus, then it stops everywhere along the way so it took an hour to get to my trailhead, so I spent 4 hrs of my day trying to get to one spot and back, not very satisfactory.

Central New Jersey
Level Contributor
391 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: The Island Explorer Shuttle

And how much did you pay to ride that bus??? Last that I checked, it was free, and made so by generous corporate donations! I think that one needs to look at the big picture, which is reducing traffic and emissions on the island, and making life more pleasant for us all, both vacationers and residents. Any minor inconveniences are offset by a wonderful, artfully executed no-charge transportation system that I, for one, am eternally greatful for (as are my friends and family who have been visiting for over 20 years).

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,387 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Island Explorer Shuttle

It also depends on where you are starting out from. If she was staying in Southwest Harbor, for example, the bus really is a tedious way to go.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,886 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Island Explorer Shuttle

RE: Bayley1: "...And how much did you pay to ride that bus??? Last that I checked, it was free,.."

Yes, I know, Bayley. The writer is from Atlanta which typically is in 16-hour-a-day gridlock, yet she complains about island traffic and slow bus service. A very quick perusal of the IE schedule would show that in the Southwest Harbor area, the buses run an hour apart.. There is no pleasing some people.