We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camping in Bar Harbor - what if it rains

orange county NY
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Topic
Camping in Bar Harbor - what if it rains

My son wants the tent experience and we decided to go camping in Bar Harbor. We picked an oceanfront site on Mt Dessert Narrows. Now I am having second thoughts.

What if it rains too much... how is the weather usually in early July? Is it difficult to find reasonable accommodations if it starts to rain and we change our mind with the tenting?

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,875 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camping in Bar Harbor - what if it rains

For the most authoritative summary of earlyJuly weather in the Bar Harbor area, go to:

http://tinyurl.com/2vclnv

On the right side is a box where you can enter the range of dates that you are interested in.

Rain that time of year generally is less a problem than is fog. Early July is the beginning of the busiest part of our season. Last-minute alternative accommodations might be be available, but it's a risky proposition.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,200 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Camping in Bar Harbor - what if it rains

It doesn't rain that much in early July. However, it is not unheard of to have soggy campers show up at the Bed and Breakfasts in Bar Harbor begging for a room and a hot shower. It might indeed be difficult to find reasonable accommodations at the last minute, especially if it's July 4th.

Be brave! None of you will melt in the rain!! And it won't rain all day or all night. Hopefully.

Central New Jersey
Level Contributor
391 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Camping in Bar Harbor - what if it rains

We've camped in Bar Harbor in mid-July for the past 12 years, and while we've had some rainy days it has never been much of a problem to us. Although we have an RV and don't have to deal with a soggy tent, the campground and surrounding area does get temporarily muddy and unpleasant but always dries out the next day. Bring a good raincoat and enjoy being outside. There are still walks that you can do in the park and the area takes on a whole new aspect when the forrests are foggy and damp. It seems so much greener. It's all part of the Maine experience!

orange county NY
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Camping in Bar Harbor - what if it rains

Thanks for all the advise folks. I will try to be brave and keep the two 12 yrs olds we are bringing along bravey and busy. As this is my first camping experience in over 20 yrs, when I was about 20, my endurance is not the same.

I can't wait to get out there, though. We are trying to narrow donw what we want to do. Whale Watching, Picture taking, National park, and swim are for now our top priorities. Can we see the fireworks from Mt Dessert Narrows, we have an oceanfront site. What's a good place to see the fireworks without getting too far from the campsite?

Truly appreciate everyone's answers. ana

Bradley, Maine
Level Contributor
685 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Camping in Bar Harbor - what if it rains

I've said it before, I'll say it again. Book a campground that has both cabins and tent sites. I think the only one that books cabins for the night (vs. the week) is Bass harbor Campground.

That same thing happend the last time we went out. It pised rain the entire day and we returned to a soggy... everything. She showed us the dryers and gave us a cabin for the night.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,200 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Camping in Bar Harbor - what if it rains

I'm not sure if you can see the fireworks from your campground or not. It's possible. They are sort of in that direction. That would be a good question for the owner of the campground.

Northville, MI
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Camping in Bar Harbor - what if it rains

Hi anainchester,

Just my 2 cents. Bring 2 large poly tarps and have one setup over the table area and another protecting the tent (just in case the tent leaks). Set the tarps so that they would be sloping down both ways from the center line like a house roof so the water would not accumulate inside. Try to pick the spot for your tent so it would not be on the water way in case of heavy rains.

We were camping in Acadia with 2 kids (6 and 8 years old) early in May this year and first 2-3 days it was raining alot but our new tent made it without any leaks so it didn't bother us much.

Hope you have a wonderful trip.

Dmitriy

orange county NY
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Camping in Bar Harbor - what if it rains

I just wanted to thank everyone. It not only rained... it poured. Luckily we had a tarp with us and only got minimal rain along the edges. After the first night we picked up another one. It is a very humbling experience to sleep under all that pouring rain and thunder. Anyway... we loved the experience and would do it again. As first time campers, the distance between our site and our neighbors was satisfactory - anything further away might have spooked us. The place was spotless the whole time we were there and the staff was extremely friendly and helpful.

As for Acadia and Bar Harbor (second main reason of our visit), the whale trip was cancelled except for the last day we were there. However, by the time we got there, there were not enough tickets. We went to Bar Island instead and hiked up.

The day we did the park, no matter how many times I told these guys to read about the place, they didn't, so when we were going, they were, what's gonna be there? what are we gonna do...just look at trees?

Once we started off, they got excited. We went to the Abbe museum, saw 2 huge Owls not far from there, went to the Wild Gardens were a serious Picture Taking Contest started. Once we hit the beach, I couldn't get them back in the car. Only when I told them the next stop was Thunder Hole (imagine...Thunder Hole - how bad can it be), they headed for the car.

As beautiful as everystop of the Park Loop is, nothing prepares you for the feeling on Cadillac Mountain.

Will definitely do it again. However, we won't book so far in advance and will check the weather. If it was wonderful and majestic in Rain and Fog, I can't even imagine in the Sun.

9. Re: Camping in Bar Harbor - what if it rains

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 pm, August 30, 2009