We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Add Winter Harbor Schoodic Peninsula forum?

Winter Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
56 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Add Winter Harbor Schoodic Peninsula forum?

I'm a new member with a second home in Winter Harbor. It would be wonderful to have a forum for the Winter Harbor-Schoodic Acadia NP area.

During our stays in Maine, we used to remain in the Bar Harbor-Mt. Desert area. Once we discovered the Schoodic Peninsula section of Acadia National Park, that was added to our itinerary every year. Before retirement, a day on the rocks at Schoodic Point, with books and picnic lunch and dramatic surf, was our most memorable - and rejuvenating - experience, savored throughout the rest of the year.

We loved it so, we bought a place in Winter Harbor on the Schoodic Peninsula!

The Schoodic Point section of Acadia National Park is one of the most beautiful. Winter Harbor is central to the Schoodic area and worthy of a forum. It offers many privately owned vacation rentals, dramatic scenery, restaurants, a few nice little shops and galleries, very active arts community, and the authenitic Downeast coastal experience.

Could we have a forum for that beautiful area?

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
62 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Add Winter Harbor Schoodic Peninsula forum?

Can you share some of your favorite restaurants, shops and galleries, as well as favorite hikes in that area?

We will be taking our first trip to Maine and staying at Acadia View near the Schoodic Peninsula to take advantage of seeing the "quiet" side.

Any advice is appreciated!

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,860 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Add Winter Harbor Schoodic Peninsula forum?

There is a Winter Harbor forum ('way, 'way down the list). There is, however, no separate Schoodic Peninsula forum.

Clarksville...
Level Contributor
718 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Add Winter Harbor Schoodic Peninsula forum?

As far as hikes at Schoodic, there is really only one if you make it a loop. It is very scenic! Park at the Blueberry Hill parking area, just a little further down the loop road from the turnoff for Schoodic Point. Take the Alder Trail across the road, follow it for a half mile. Then, you come to a dirt road, follow it for 1/10 of mile or so. Then, take the trail on the right heading up to Schoodic Head. Follow this for a half mile. This is the steep part. After a little bit of climbing, you start getting views. Then, you make it up to the top of Schoodic Head, which has beautiful views and is the highest point on the peninsula. There is a trail junction there. One way it say's something like "East Parking Area" and the other say's "Anvil Trail". I don't know if there are more views at the parking area or not. Does anybody know? But, that trail junction sure looked like the top. Then, you head down the Anvil Trail, which can be steep going down in some places. But, there are just beautiful views most of the way down. Then, you come to the Anvil, a summit lower than Schoodic Head, but closer to the ocean, which has great views also. You come to the road. Turn right and walk the road back 1/10 of a mile or less back to the parking area. There is not much traffic at all on the road. The Anvil Route is steeper than the Alder Route. You could do it in either direction or just hike a little ways up to the Anvil. But, this is basically the only trails at Schoodic. But, is very scenic and worthwhile and was one of my favorite hikes on my trip.

Hartford...
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Add Winter Harbor Schoodic Peninsula forum?

Schoodic, the best kept secret of Acadia. Check tides and get there an hour before high tide.

Clarksville...
Level Contributor
718 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Add Winter Harbor Schoodic Peninsula forum?

I second that. There is also Isle au Haut and other islands to check out. Some have passenger ferrys, some don't, some you need your own boat. At Schoodic Point, there was a minature thunder hole. An area where the water rushes in and makes a small boom.

Maine
Level Contributor
857 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Add Winter Harbor Schoodic Peninsula forum?

Hi WWW,

I've been to Winter Harbor and the Schoodic peninsula years ago, only briefly, and just loved it. So I can't blame you for choosing the area to spend your summers :)!

Anyway, now I'm planning to stay in the area for a few days and am looking for a nice accomodation either right in town or nearby.

After researching this site and the internet in general, nothing much comes up. Do you have any suggestions? I wouldn't mind a 20 to 25 minute drive from the area, but don't want to stay in the heart of Bar Harbor or Ellsworth.

Meanwhile, congrats on the purchase of your new 2nd home and welcome to Maine :).

cozyharbor

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,860 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Add Winter Harbor Schoodic Peninsula forum?

cozyharbor---

I did some very quick googling and came up with:

http://www.oceaninn.com/

In Prospect Harbor, which is on Schoodic peninsula. I'm pretty sure that I have seen some others over there, but I can't dredge up the names right now.

Winter Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
56 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Add Winter Harbor Schoodic Peninsula forum?

Have you ever considered renting directly from vacation homeowners? If so, there are lots of options. My guests (we rent to vacationers and use the property when it is not rented) are always pleased with the space and location for the money, even those who have never rented directly from owners before.

In addition to the place mentioned here are a couple of commercial establishments on the way to Schoodic: Island View and Acadia View.

I will try to post again when I have time...

Maine
Level Contributor
857 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Add Winter Harbor Schoodic Peninsula forum?

Thanks cwvoigt and WHH for your replies and suggestions :).

I think I've found a place called Elsa's in Prospect Harbor. It's a B&B on the water with nice amenities. However, I tried calling to acquire more info and about availability and got voice mail. Hopefully I'll hear back from them soon.

Meanwhile, if there are any further suggestions, keep 'em coming :). And I'll keep researching also.

cozyharbor

Cincinnati, Oh
Level Contributor
451 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Add Winter Harbor Schoodic Peninsula forum?

Try Mermaid Purse Farm B & B. My sister and I stayed there a couple of years ago, the first year they opened. They rooms were very nice and decorated for comfort. It is on the outer harbor of Prospect Harbor and has nice views and they own the land across the road that is waterwater front on the harbor. They are on a dead-end road and there isn't much traffic. They were wonderful house and very intersting to talk with. If you are in the area go to U.S. Bells shop, they forge and design they're own belss and you can watch them in the workshop. You will have a hard time walking away without buying something. I do everytime I go there!!!

Get answers to your questions about Acadia National Park