We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Acadia NP, Belfast, etc.

Minnesota
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Acadia NP, Belfast, etc.

Last two weeks of June our family is going to Maine. Staying in Belfast area. Want to see MDI, whales, puffins, tides, hike, bike, kayak. Take a mail boat to an island....trying to keep expenses down. Where are the mail boats? More advice needed how to see Maine economically. Fish off a pier instead of a charter boat. O.K. where's a good pier? Grandchildren 12, 10 and 2 yr. Plus parents and grandparents. The seven of us are eager to go. Most motels don't want us to share one room. That puts a crimp on keeping the cost low. I hear you, it is crowded but we traveled out west in a small RV and got along great. And motels have bigger bathrooms!

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
5,540 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Acadia NP, Belfast, etc.

Why Belfast? You are going to do a lot of driving to see the things you want to see. Whales and puffins can generally only be seen from expensive boat tours. You could get lucky, though, and see them from the mailboat run out to Isle au Haut or Monhegan. The Isle au Haut boat leaves from Stonington on Deer Isle. The Monhegan boat leaves from Port Clyde at the end of the peninsula near Rockland and Thomaston.

Fishing from piers is not a big thing in Maine. There are no fishing piers like the ones on the North Carolina coast. There are some public boat piers. I don't remember ever seeing any one fishing form them.

I have some sympathy for motels that would rather not have seven people in one room: more towels, dificulty in cleaning, etc., etc.

Cincinnati, Oh
Level Contributor
446 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Acadia NP, Belfast, etc.

try www.jaretcohn.com

Cincinnati, Oh
Level Contributor
446 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Acadia NP, Belfast, etc.

go to the Maine tourism website and go to accomodations, they have a BIG variety of everything. You might want to try Bay Meadows in Salisbury Cove On MDI the have cottages of all sorts with kitchens or kitchenetts, and they aren't expensive. Anything after June is going to be high.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
194 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Acadia NP, Belfast, etc.

Belfast is going to be a bit of a drive to MDI. It will roughly take 1 1/2 to 2 or more hours (all depending on the traffic on route 1 during that time). Plan on getting up early to go to MDI...there is so much to see and do (you can do everything on your list right on MDI) Although, I have nothing against Belfast...it is a beautiful town and I am sure they have plenty of boating activities (the Belfast Chamber of Commerce website has some great info on it: http://www.belfastmaine.org//index.cfm ).

Maine
Level Contributor
756 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Acadia NP, Belfast, etc.

I've never done it but I think I have heard about and even seen people fishing on the pier in downtown Belfast. Its not really a pier I dont think but a pedestrian bridge of sorts if I recall correctly. It has been years since I have been to the waterfront there but you look down upon it whenever traveling RT1/RT3. Here in far downeast Maine there are a coupel piers that people often fish from for mackerel and harbor polluck (sp?) but I do not know about the Belfast area I would think there would be some. The end of June is a little early for the height of the mackerel run but there may be some and its just the start of the striper season which can be fished for from shore in many locations. For kids finding a spot to try to catch a mackerel would be better as striper fishing involves a lot of casting and a large pole and they are big fish. There is no license required for any saltwater fishing.

6. Re: Acadia NP, Belfast, etc.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:21 pm, August 20, 2009