We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weekend Trip to Blue Mountains - Suggestions please

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
60 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Weekend Trip to Blue Mountains - Suggestions please

Hi Everyone,

My husband and I are planning a weekend trip to Blue Mountains from Sydney maybe this coming weekend or the next coming weekends. We are driving our car there and would like to do a healthy trip filled with bushwalking and spending some together time there. We are not keen on joining a tour or to go to any spots that are deemed as 'tourist traps'. I've been looking at the forums for some bushwalking and other suggestions for the Blue mountains but would like to know if we could hear some great suggestions for what I'm looking for. If someone could suggest a good B&B or other lodging to stay at, it would be great. Someone said that staying in Katoomba would be good. Would love to do an all day bushwalk if possible, i saw something about the walk from evan's outlook to Grand canyon takes about 4 hours, i would like to do that and do somethin of similar activity. Please excuse this long posting. Hope to hear from all you trip advisors out there :) Take care

Mentioned in this post
Blue Mountains
Blue Mountains
1,405 Reviews
Katoomba, Australia
Sydney
Sydney
New South Wales, Australia
Katoomba
Katoomba
Blue Mountains, Australia
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,206 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weekend Trip to Blue Mountains - Suggestions please

Hi Olliville

I would be booking your accommodation ASAP as w/ends in the mountains are very popular for an overnight stay. What is your budget for accommodation?

Accommodation reviews....

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotels-g1426078-Blue_Mount…

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotels-g1426078-c2-Blue_Mo…

Can't really think of any areas I'd call "tourist traps"....the areas you'd want to visit are where the tourists go for good reason!....Echo Point, Govetts Leap, Scenic world etc..

If you look through the Blue Mountains forum page I think a lot of your questions will be answered.

Reviews..

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g255058-d2…

Driving..

tripadvisor.co.uk/…11709414

General info...

tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g1426078-Blue_Mounta…

I would also recommend a visit to Jenolan Caves

Mentioned in this post
Govetts Leap
Govetts Leap
519 Reviews
Blackheath, Australia
Scenic World Blue Mountains
Scenic World Blue...
3,764 Reviews
Katoomba, Australia
Blue Mountains
Blue Mountains
1,405 Reviews
Katoomba, Australia
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,634 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weekend Trip to Blue Mountains - Suggestions please

If you'd like to bushwalk, why not go to Govett's Leap which is just near Blackheath, about 10 mins drive further on from Katoomba. While Govett's Leap is a popular spot for bushwalking, many tourists are more likely to stay around Echo Point / Kattomba / Leura.

Have a look at this site - wildwalks.com/bushwalking-and-hiking-in-nsw/…

Click on the buswalking link and you'll also find other recommended walks.

Mentioned in this post
Blackheath
Blackheath
Katoomba
Katoomba
Leura
Leura
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
159 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weekend Trip to Blue Mountains - Suggestions please

I would agree that the Blackheath area is a little more away from the main tourist centres. Walking around Govetts Leap is a bit limited with the closure of a lot of the valley walks but there are still some good cliff top walks. The National Parks and Wildlife centre there is worth a visit and the short walk from there to the lookout is worthwhile. I think the Grand Canyon walk is a good one and you get the bonus of Evans lookout. Blackheath has a number of good coffee shop/restaurants and interesting shops for afterwards. The other alternative would be Wentworth Falls and the "Valley of the Waters" and "Undercliff" walks.

Mentioned in this post
Blackheath
Blackheath
Govetts Leap
Govetts Leap
519 Reviews
Blackheath, Australia
Wentworth Falls
Wentworth Falls
1,041 Reviews
Katoomba, Australia
4. Re: Weekend Trip to Blue Mountains - Suggestions please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, August 15, 2010