We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it safe for British people to travel to Socotra Island

Surrey
Level Contributor
1 post
17 reviews
Save Topic
Is it safe for British people to travel to Socotra Island

Is it safe for British people to travel to Socotra Island? My husband and I are interested in travelling there and wondered if there would be a security threat? Plus are there any good beach hotels.

Sanaa, Yemen
Level Contributor
31 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it safe for British people to travel to Socotra Island

Yes it's safe to travel to Socotra doesn't matter what is your nationality, Socotris are extremely friendly (friendly than British people in my experience) and the place is so safe.

For the hotels there are clean hotels in the main city Hadibo but i recommend you to go camping since the hotels are located far from the tourist attractions.

BR,

Hareth.

Playa del Carmen...
Level Contributor
64 posts
291 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it safe for British people to travel to Socotra Island

My wife and I were on the island Nov 7-14 2012. Awesome experience and totally safe! As Americans we were wary as well, but no worries.

Msg me if you have other questions

Wilmington, Delaware
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it safe for British people to travel to Socotra Island

mhareth - Thank you for your reply. I am writing to you from Delaware, USA. I am curious about your suggestion to camp instead of a hotel stay on Socotra. Would you be kind enough to advise where an ideal spot would be to camp and whether or not I should take my own camp equipment? What about food supplies as well? My daughter is currently teaching in Dubai. We are considering meeting on the Island.

Your kind consideration is appreciated,

David

Sanaa, Yemen
Level Contributor
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it safe for British people to travel to Socotra Island

Socotra it's safe yes even you are from UK .

Camping is an interesting, camping equipment in protected areas they have and they cook great food in the camp There is a kitchen and you can get 3 meals.

Sanaa, Yemen
Level Contributor
31 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it safe for British people to travel to Socotra Island

Hi David,

I'm actually writing a blog about it will post it soon but for now you don't have to bring your own equipment they provide tents at the campsites but it's good if you thinking to bring your sleeping bag.

Wait for my blog.

Best,

Hareth.

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it safe for British people to travel to Socotra Island

Hey Hareth,

Looking forward to your blog too ;)

Sanaa, Yemen
Level Contributor
31 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it safe for British people to travel to Socotra Island

Here you go, All the info you need about the campsites http://toyemen.com/where-to-camp-in-socotra/

Thanks to my fiance for editing it for me :)

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it safe for British people to travel to Socotra Island

Thanks, Hareth! That was really interesting to read.

Cheers to your fiance! ;)

9. Re: Is it safe for British people to travel to Socotra Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 9:35 am, June 17, 2013
10. Re: Is it safe for British people to travel to Socotra Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, June 19, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Socotra Island