We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should there be toilets and other facilities at Durdle Door?

Tonbridge, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
151 reviews
Save Topic
Should there be toilets and other facilities at Durdle Door?

I've just read a review about Durdle Door, complaining about the lack of toilet facilities at Durdle Door, and also grizzling about the route across from Lulworth and down to the beach. I can't let this go unanswered. Durdle Door is a unique natural feature of Britain, and the lack of facilities and difficulty of access reflects this. The area isn't unspoiled, but it's as close as you're going to find these days. I've also seen reviews complaining about the car park fees (£3 for 2 hours). If you want to keep this incredible place as it is, the only way to raise the necessary funds is by charging. This isn't a new idea, or do people get to go to the cinema for free, or watch a football match for nothing. Folks, nothing is free these days, and £3 is about the same as a pint of beer.

Finally, back to the lack of facilities, what can we expect complaints about next? No lifts to the top of Ben Nevis perhaps, or why can't I drive to the Isle of Wight, and why aren't there any restaurants in the middle of Dartmoor?

6 replies to this topic
Exeter, UK
Level Contributor
881 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should there be toilets and other facilities at Durdle Door?

Hear hear!

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
872 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should there be toilets and other facilities at Durdle Door?

Well said. We had a comment at work a few years back that couldn't we have built the cave closer to the motorway! They were politely told to take it up with the motorway people as the cave is older than the wheel, never mind the roads and motorways, no matter what you tell people, some just can't grasp the concept of things being natural...

UK
Level Contributor
173 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should there be toilets and other facilities at Durdle Door?

The car parking fee is a small price to pay to see an outstanding piece of scenery. I think if you travel on to Lulworth Cove you can also use the same car parking ticket there I believe. Durdle Door and Lulworh Cove are must sees if you are in the area.

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Should there be toilets and other facilities at Durdle Door?

We visited durdle door and lulworth cove this summer for the first time and found it to be stunning! One of the best days out of our holiday! However the lack of toilets is an issue! People need toilets! Without them you are limited to a relatively short stay unless, like us, you go in the sea!!!! Or like my little girl behind the car!!! If there is a car park charge there should be a clean block of toilets!! What is the money used for otherwise! Personally wouldn't like to see shop or cafe they would spoil it but a clean toilet block with a reasonable charge would enhance a visitors day out . Personally we found our uk holiday this year blighted by dirty toilets!! Our last three holidays to playa blanca in lanzarote did not have this problem!!! If you want people to holiday at home get the toilets cleaned and modernised!!!

UK
Level Contributor
173 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should there be toilets and other facilities at Durdle Door?

At the Lulworth Cove car park there are toilets, just not at Durdle Door. But expect there are some in the caravan park you need to go through to get to the Durdle Door car park.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,119 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should there be toilets and other facilities at Durdle Door?

there are loos in at durdle door and a cafe/shop all in the caravan park

not loos on the beach area though, not sure if i saw some near where the tent site is, maybe

Edited: 5:09 am, September 01, 2013
Reply to: Should there be toilets and other facilities at Durdle Door?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about West Lulworth