We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tortuguero National Park

Sheffield, UK
Level Contributor
119 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Tortuguero National Park

Hi, I am interested in visiting Parismina mainly for the village life and volunteering to patrol the beaches to safeguard the turtles.

However, I am also interested in visiting Tortuguero National Park and doing a tour of the canals. Could you please advise me as to whether this is possible from Parismina or am I better basing myself at Tortuguero?

Many thanks

15 replies to this topic
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,905 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tortuguero National Park

I think you have better chances to move around to find what you are looking for...if you are base in Tortuguero...

Roadadvisor

Calgary
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tortuguero National Park

I agree with Roadadvisor.....there are many more options/facilities available in Tortuguero. But it depends on your preferences.....Parismina is less touristry but that might be to your liking.....as well you should make sure to check into your turtle "volunteering" beforehand to find out the training required before you would be allowed on the beaches as an obsever...

Edited: 10:41 pm, December 09, 2012
Sheffield, UK
Level Contributor
119 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tortuguero National Park

Thank you very much guys. I think Tortuguero does actually make sense as I would like to fly back to San Jose from there.

Would I take a bus to Siquirres then boat to Tortuguero as would be the case to Parismina?

Thanks again

Calgary
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Tortuguero National Park

your better to take the bus from san jose to cairiari and transfer to a "local" bus that takes you to pavona were you take the water ferry into Tortuguero. sound complicated but it is actually a piece of cake. when are you traveling? Im not a turtle expert but I dont think there is much for turtles till april....

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,905 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tortuguero National Park

Good answer by alathobo...and rhe Pavona public boat is verfy cheap and it works perfectly...make a lot of sense!

roadadvisor

Sheffield, UK
Level Contributor
119 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tortuguero National Park

Thank you guys. Very helpful. I will make this journey.

Thanks again

Stefan

Vancouver, British...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tortuguero National Park

Last time I was in Parasmina was in around 2007 and it was a drug infested backwards little village with lousy and dirty places to stay. The food in the little restaurants was fairly ok and it's got a couple of bars for those who want to go have a drink. LOTS of mosquito's and the beaches are not the best, but ok. Someone broke into our room and ripped us off, and I wanted to report it to the old village cop who seemed put out and didn't want to bother. Gave me the impression it happens often. I once asked what the brown sludge on the tide line was and was told it was from the river that empties into the ocean near Parismana. So I thought all was well and went swimming in it a few times. Then early one morning I went out for a walk and saw the village tractor/backhoe burying the village garbage on the beach! I guess it was easier than digging a hole in the jungle. This is a very backwards little place that will rip you off every chance they get. Very short sighted people charging you the "gringo" price and can't understand why you won't buy from them again when you figure it out. The turtle tours were just about getting every last dollar out of you they could and it was run by one family more as a business to employ their family members than as a non-profit. Some great fishing guides there and they'll take you out into the ocean and you WILL catch fish. Ask around for a good deal. But the prevailing attitude there is not one of welcoming tourism like it is in Torguguero. We did have a great time in Tortuguero though. Keep going up the canal to Torguguero and save a lot of B.S.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
16,381 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tortuguero National Park

OP, I do not want to scarry you away from your volunteering, just a few words about "patrol the beaches to safeguard the turtles.". There is no romantic side to this. Trafficking the turtle eggs is as illegal as trafficking drugs, and often same breed of people are doing the both. A nest full of turtle eggs has worth many times over to them vs. a life of a gringo on a deserted beach.

It is my personal opinion, of course, but the battle for turtles should be done by locals. They know with whom they are dealing (and despite of this tragedies has happened). What we could do is to financially support those organisations in the country that are working on the issue. As said, just my 2 cents. YMMV.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tortuguero National Park

Hello... hello .... the original post was written in 2012. Not sure why someone decided to revive this post just to rag on Parsimina of 7 years ago. Apparently, just doing some reading and came across this post and decided to respond two years later.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
16,381 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tortuguero National Park

Heck, Hattie, I need to start reading the dates!!! But anyway, I do think that my reply is worth of reading ... even if not to the OP!!

Reply to: Tortuguero National Park
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Parismina