We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to get here

Zambia
Level Contributor
14 posts
197 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to get here

Any ideas on the best way to get here? where is the nearest airport? Are there trains from Kunming? Any tips would be great thanks

Kunming, China
Level Contributor
3,634 posts
548 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to get here

Nearest airport is Kunming. No train from Kunming to Yuanyang. You will need to take a bus from the Kunming South Bus Station.

Trip from the new Kunming airport (Changshui) to the South Bus Station is fairly long and will take one to two hours depending on time of day and how you go. Taxi, of course, will be faster than public transport but will cost in excess of 100 RMB.

The bus ride from the Kunming South Bus Station to Yuanyuang requires about two hours. I don't know the exact schedule, but busses are fairly frequent (I would guess every couple hours.)

Even though Yuanyang is in all the guide books, it is still fairly remote geographically, and takes a bit of effort to reach.

Kunming, China
Level Contributor
3,634 posts
548 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to get here

Nearest airport is Kunming. No train from Kunming to Yuanyang. You will need to take a bus from the Kunming South Bus Station.

Trip from the new Kunming airport (Changshui) to the South Bus Station is fairly long and will take one to two hours depending on time of day and how you go. Taxi, of course, will be faster than public transport but will cost in excess of 100 RMB.

The bus ride from the Kunming South Bus Station to Yuanyuang requires about two hours. I don't know the exact schedule, but busses are fairly frequent (I would guess every couple hours.)

Even though Yuanyang is in all the guide books, it is still fairly remote geographically, and takes a bit of effort to reach.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
10,140 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to get here

Whaaaaaat?! Kunming to Yuanyang in two hours??!!!

Kunming Nanbu (south bus station) to Yuanyang takes 7-8 hours, and makes an intermediate stop in Jianshui. There is usually only one through-bus per day leaving in the morning, and maybe a couple of overnight sleeper buses leaving late afternoon (not recommended). There are more choices if you take a Kunming-Jianshui bus, of which there are usually a couple every hour throughout the day early morning through mid-afternoon. Takes about 4 hours including a pitstop enroute. Then continue on a local Jianshui-Yuanyang bus, which takes about 3 hours to Nansha (lower Yuanyang). Some buses go to upper Yuanyang (Xinjie) which is where you want to go. If on one of those terminating at Nansha, then hop one of the minibuses outside the station heading up to Xinjie, another 45 minutes.

Road travel is the only option, either public bus or private car. To properly do Yuanyang, you need to allot one day in each direction for travel, plus a couple of intermediate days to actually see the terraces. One of those intermediate days can be crafted for a 1/2 day and overnight in Jianshui on either the inbound or outbound. That's a 4-day round trip module out of Kunming, minimum.

Kunming, China
Level Contributor
3,634 posts
548 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to get here

Yes, absolutely. Agree with post # 3. Can't imagine what I was thinking about when I wrote what I did. Apologies to all.

5. Re: Best way to get here

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 pm, May 18, 2017