We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

whale watching- which company to choose between

singapore
Level Contributor
62 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
whale watching- which company to choose between

Hi...i have to pick between Mirissa water sports club and Raja & the Whales for a whale watching trip in Dec...any experiences with any either or both? Which one would be a better choice?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: whale watching- which company to choose between

My choice, Mirissa Water Sports, though Raja isn't that far behind.

Charles.

Negambo
Level Contributor
110 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: whale watching- which company to choose between

This may also be a cheaper option for you... recently saw on TV.

http://whalewatching.navy.lk/

Not sure how good they are though...

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
49,660 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: whale watching- which company to choose between

Has quite a 'mixed' reputation. Their ships were not designed for whale watching and on the big side for this. Good for the passengers in terms of stability and shade, but bad for both passengers and whales as the noise of the engines disrups the beasties and even other boats complain about a huge empty zone around the huge ships ;-) No personal experience though.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: whale watching- which company to choose between

Yes its very noisy, not only whales even a fish

5. Re: whale watching- which company to choose between

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:04 am, December 10, 2011
London, United...
Level Contributor
64 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: whale watching- which company to choose between

Hi,

I went on a whale watching trip with Raja & the Whales in march this year.

I can highly recommend them. Rajesh is highly knowledgable about marine life and is passionate about whales. They comform to the International Whale watching standards.

So many of the other boats chase and harrass the whales, Raja does not do this and it makes for a much better experience. When boats get too near the whales just dive and no one gets to see them.

colombo
12 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: whale watching- which company to choose between

You right mark,

lots of skippers have not idea how to move their boat correctly with whales.

but not every body ..

singapore
Level Contributor
62 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: whale watching- which company to choose between

Thank you for your comments!

Austria
Level Contributor
2 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: whale watching- which company to choose between

Hi!

I really can recommend Raja and The Whales! It's a great company who acts very respectfully with the whales and whose captain has an awesome knowledge about whales and all other animals living in the sea. I really had a wonderful trip with them and would be happy if more people go with them as they are locals and I think it's important to support local families, when you are on holiday. Their boat is very safe and they told me that they used it for rescuing fishingboats when the cyclone beginning of December was going on (where about 15 fishermen died in the sea). The crew on the boat is super-friendly, their English is very good and the breakfast was very good too.

Have a good trip to Sri Lanka!! :)

Anja

10. Re: whale watching- which company to choose between

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:18 pm, June 22, 2013