We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from Negombo to Mirissa - bus, train or taxi?

Wiltshire
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Getting from Negombo to Mirissa - bus, train or taxi?

I'd like to travel from Negombo to Mirissa on 29th or 30th December.

The guesthouse in Neg have said their driver can take us (2 people) for 10,000rps or $90.

Could anyone advise on public transport - costs, frequency, travelling times, pitfalls, advantages - as we're on a budget and would like to save money if possible. (I'm also more into getting stuck in with the locals than remaining removed from them in a taxi - if you know what i mean - but then 5 hours standing up in a cramped bus may make me change my views on that!!).

Another thing to bear in mind is that we have a 'floating' day at the mo. Neg guestho is booked 27th and 28th but Mirissa guestho had no availability on 29th, so that leaves us with the possibility of maybe breaking the journey to Mirissa, say at Galle. Would that be worth the effort?

Alternatively, we could spend an extra day at Neg and do a day trip to somewhere from there...any suggestions?

Or should we get on down to Mirissa and find somewhere for just one night when we arrive? Or if we plan on getting there on 29th (and it's a busy time of year) would you advise i book a room up for a night in advance to avoid being fleeced (or to avoid having to spend a night under the stars on the beach! I had to try 5 guesthouses before i couidl find one with availability over the new year so clearly it's going to be popular)

SOrry, there are lots of questions in here. Any thoughts/ suggestions are very welcome from anyone 'in the know'!

Many thanks

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting from Negombo to Mirissa - bus, train or taxi?

Train: One train from Negombo to Colombo Fort. Then another train from Colombo to Aluthgama. The track is closed between Aluthgama and Galle). Then a bus the rest of the way.

Bus: Take bus 240 from Negombo to Colombo where you change to a Matara bound bus 2 and get off at Mirissa. Negombo-Colombo should cost less than LKR 100 per person. AC bus Colombo-Matara will cost about LKR 300 per person. Buses are not feasible with a lot of luggage. A mid size backpack is maximum. On AC buses you may be able to by a seat for your luggage.

Hans

London, United...
Level Contributor
59 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting from Negombo to Mirissa - bus, train or taxi?

we have done this trip a few times on buses-usually local -getting an ac bus is tricky usually u need to be the first at the bus station otherwise its pot luck as they are popular with local professional-local buses- well an experience-u usually get a seat after galle sometimes sooner depending on time of day-anyway u are guaranteed to be a local attraction !!!

3. Re: Getting from Negombo to Mirissa - bus, train or taxi?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:24 am, November 18, 2012