We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it best to book whale watching in advance?

Wiltshire
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Is it best to book whale watching in advance?

Hi all, thanks for reading.

I'm heading to Mirissa over the new year for 5 days. In the last couple of days, I've managed - with some difficulty - to sort out some accommodation and because the resort is clearly going to be busy at that time of year, i'm wondering whether we should book up whale watching in advance. We're really keen to do a trip while we're there.

I've read that Mirissa Watersports are a good, reputable, safe company but on their website can't find any prices or advice on booking in advance.

Are whale sightings weather dependent? I'm hoping for good weather at end of Dec/early Jan, but know if can't be guaranteed.

I'd appreciate any advice please on the costs of trips and on whether i should try and book up before we get there or just make sure we get on down to their office as soon as we arrive!

Thanks a lot for your time and advice.

Mentioned in this post
Mirissa
Mirissa
Southern Province, Sri Lanka
Sri Lanka Whales
Boat Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Fishing Charters & Tours, Private Tours
Whale Watching Mirissa - Whale Horizon
Boat Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching
Whale Horizon
Dolphin & Whale Watching
Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it best to book whale watching in advance?

Hi,

You can find contact details for Mirissa Water Sports here:

www.mirissawatersports.com/CONTACT.html

I believe they still charge LKR 8,000 per person.

Hans

Mentioned in this post
Mirissa Water Sports
Mirissa Water Sports
340 Reviews
Mirissa, Sri Lanka
Wiltshire
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it best to book whale watching in advance?

Thanks Hans. Have you been whale watching yourself? Would you book in advance at that time of year?

M

London, United...
Level Contributor
76 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it best to book whale watching in advance?

Hi

I went whale watching in Mirissa in March this year. It was an amazing experience. Saw 7 Blue Whales. I went with Raja & the Whales http://www.rajaandthewhales.com/index.html Rajesh is very knowledgable about marine life and is passionate about whales.

There are so many boats that go out and behave irresponibiy, they get far too close and scare the whales off, they just dive and no one gets to see them. Rajesh conforms to the international whale watching regulations.

Dec/Jan is right in the middle of the whale watching season and I would say you have an excellent chance to see them.

raja charges 8000 rupees, you can get it cheaper I saw it being offered for 5000, but I would urge you not use these boats that harrass the whales.

You can email Rajesh to ask his advise about booking ahead.

Have a great time!

Mentioned in this post
Mirissa
Mirissa
4. Re: Is it best to book whale watching in advance?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:04 am, December 10, 2011
Lucerne, Switzerland
Level Contributor
19 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it best to book whale watching in advance?

Its Sure Raja and the whales is good one,they have good condition.and fair preice also.i was went tour with the rajaandthewhals.was great schow the dolphine and whales.friendly serviece quelity of the service verry hight.there is lot of locals doing whals watching tour but be carefull it will be denguerous with small boat even chieap

colombo
12 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it best to book whale watching in advance?

there is few sides of booking trip in advance.it's better if you can book directly whale watching operator(boat). other wise you will have to pay more indirectly to hotel or tour agency if you come through them.

as you know everything depend on commission in tourism trade.i have been reported that some of brokers get 10000Rs per each instead of 5000Rs per each person.5000-6000Rs/each range is the best offer i think in mirissa.

i not blame brokers but people must always be reasonable..

regards,

Austria
Level Contributor
2 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it best to book whale watching in advance?

Hi!

I've also been whalewatching with Raja & The Whales and I can only recommend this company. From my experience I can tell you that you can just call them a view days in advance and they'll make a reservation for you. The current price for a trip is 6.000 Rupies per Person for Adults.

What I really liked about Raja and the Whales was, that they were the only boat acting respectfully with the whales. All other boats we saw out there were chasing the whales and scaring them by going too close or directly in front of the whale so the whale didn't stay at the surface but went diving quickly. Fortunately all boats went back to the harbour after some time and we could enjoy being out there in peace with the whales. So if you want to go with a boat, where the captain has an awesome knowledge about whales and other animals living in the sea and if you are keen on protecting the whales, I'd recommend you to go with Raja and the Whales. :)

Have a good trip to Sri Lanka and enjoy your whalewatching trip!! :)

Anja

Mentioned in this post
Raja & the Whales
Raja & the Whales
1,642 Reviews
Mirissa, Sri Lanka
Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it best to book whale watching in advance?

Don't need to pay advance early for whales watching. you can find some operators easily in Mirrisa.

Wiltshire
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it best to book whale watching in advance?

Thanks very much everyone for your advice. Sounds like Raja is a good bet so I'll get in touch with him. (I so hate it when safari jeeps/boats home in and circle animals that you're supposed to be viewing in their natural habitat, so very much into the idea that the whales are treated with respect).

We arrive in Mirissa on 30th and stay 4 nights - i'd so, so love to go and see the whales on New Year's Day but i know i'd better not get my hopes up too much. :-)

Less than a week till we fly out now - very exciting!

Thanks again for your replies. If you can recommend any eateries in Mirissa, i'd be grateful.

Mentioned in this post
Mirissa
Mirissa
London, United...
Level Contributor
76 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it best to book whale watching in advance?

Loads of restuarants on the beach in Mirissa. I found Wadiya ,next to Ocean Moons cabanas, to be excellent although service can be slow on busy nights. i hear that you could order your dinner earlier in the day and that might speed it up.

Have a great time whale watching with Raja, def the best choice.

Edited: 11:13 pm, December 22, 2011
Mentioned in this post
Mirissa
Mirissa