We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kangaroo Tour Service, Mirissa - Avoid this company !

London
Level Contributor
153 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Kangaroo Tour Service, Mirissa - Avoid this company !

Just wanted to post a message regarding the above tour company and share my rather unpleasant experience.

We agree to pay this company 9000 rupees for Whale Watching in Mid April 2011, with the proviso that if we saw no whales, we would only pay half of the fee. We were told that the tour would last for between 4 and 4 1/2 hours and that we would be back in Mirissa at around 11.30am, having started at 7.00am. We paid half of the 9000 rupees in good faith.

After around an hour on the boat whale spotting (we saw 3, though not especially close at all), three people out of 12 on the boat were suffering from sea sickness. The sea was pretty choppy i must admit, and the guy on the boat suggested heading back. I replied that ok, if people were not well we could head back, but i had paid for a 4 1/2 hour trip, not a 2 1/2 one ! As a result we headed back to shore arriving at about 9.45am.

I went to see the organsier explaining that he had sold the trip on a four and half hour proviso, to which he replied "Why are you complaining, you saw whales, you should be happy !", conveniently missing the point entirely. His argument was the trip could last 4 1/2 hours, but if you see a few whales before then, you head back, completely at odds with what we had discussed the day before.

When i told him i was only going to pay for 2/3 of the total, as i'd only got 2/3 of the trip he became very agitated and told me that he'd call the police immediately and sue me ! He also said he would not let me leave the office, until i had paid or the police had arrived. As there was another guy with him in a small office, this was quite intimidating and i had no real choice than to pay the full amount and get out of there.

I'd advise people to avoid this company, as they are clearly only interested in your money and not in any kind of service of customer satisfaction. Make sure you know exactly what you are paying for, and how long the trips are going to last for, as i must admit, this trip was a rip-off and a real disappointment.

London
Level Contributor
153 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Kangaroo Tour Service, Mirissa - Avoid this company !

10. No, i haven't. Why?

Bucharest, Romania
Level Contributor
2 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Kangaroo Tour Service, Mirissa - Avoid this company !

we also had a very bad experience with this company. we were a group of 5 and paid 6000 rupies/person. after trying to see whales for 7 hours (there was no whale), they took us to see some dolphins. we asked repeatedly to go back. the dolphins were surrounded by 7 or 8 boats and desperately trying to escape. i felt so bad for going on this trip, I couldn t believe what was happening.it was not whale watching, but harassing dolphins..

anyway, the deal was to get half the money back, if no whales. the manager lied and tried to trick us that he will pay, but he never did it.

My point is DO SOMETHING ELSE WITH YOUR MONEY, don t go on this whale watching trip. It probably happens the same with boats.

13. Re: Kangaroo Tour Service, Mirissa - Avoid this company !

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 9:05 am, December 01, 2013
UK
Level Contributor
494 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Kangaroo Tour Service, Mirissa - Avoid this company !

and if you believe yet another "one post wonder" you will believe anything...some sri lankan operators getting more and more devious by the day, and love posting fictional posts from non existent "happy" tourists, with no history of activity on this forum....

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Kangaroo Tour Service, Mirissa - Avoid this company !

I doubt that a local tour operator will write several reviews.

Hans

16. Re: Kangaroo Tour Service, Mirissa - Avoid this company !

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, December 03, 2014