We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whale viewing

Surat India
Level Contributor
68 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Whale viewing

We had a great trip of Sri Lanka of 7 N/ 8D duration. I will like to write a detailed trip report. But for the sake of those who are just reaching Srilanka, I am writing this post.---So that they can consider including whale watching in the trip plan -if possible.

We were a group of 38 persons and amongst other itineraries, we had planned to visit Mirissa for a boat trip to view Whales.

We had a good time of 5-6 hours of boat ride and could view 5-6 Blue whales in deep sea may be 10 nautical miles south Dondra-Mirissa. It was indeed thrilling to see these giant mammals with vertical jet fountain and long body. It was worth seeing them summersaulting with the bifid tails turning upside down. there were 2 blue whales with single kid ffollowing the ?mothers. our boatmen from Mirissa water sports whirled around theese and other whales for about 1.5 hours and followed -chased them in non aggressive manner so as not to alert them or cause panick in the whales.

For further digging in, go thro' the following links.

www.jetwingeco.com/index.cfm…

http://www.mirissawatersports.com

There are other operators also, in and around Mirissa, e.g. Raju, Samantha and others who can be contacted by getting their web sites/phone numbers by googling. I can provide the contact numbers, if any one is interested.

I thank trip advisor posters esp. Hans_DEN who showed us the way. I also thank our great tour operator, Rammuni, who has been a great find. We had stayed at Ahangama-hotel Insight, where the location was excellent, but the services and food were not up to the mark, but still recommendeble.

Hope to come out with detailed trip report soon.

P.S. We were near the Dikewella, and now I feel, we could have included the visit of Blowhole.

East Greenbush, New...
Level Contributor
1 post
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whale viewing

Any time you are chasing whales around in even a non-aggressive manner, you are disturbing them. Next season they may not be there. Watch from a distance.

2. Re: Whale viewing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, July 05, 2011