We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question re tuk tuks

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
157 posts
37 reviews
30 helpful votes
Question re tuk tuks

Approximately how much is say a 15 min journey on a tuk tuk? And do you have to pay per person? E.g. if there’s 5 of us do we pay x5? In which case would it be cheaper in a taxi? I’m assuming both taxis and tuk tuks carry 5 persons?

Thanks so much for reading/responding.

23 replies to this topic
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
68,158 posts
239 reviews
340 helpful votes
21. Re: Question re tuk tuks

Fixing the price in advance. And yes the tourist needs to know the proper distance from the map as the driver will in most cases hugely exaggerate the distance :-(

< Erik> & [Sandya]

London, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
90 reviews
22 helpful votes
22. Re: Question re tuk tuks

We always managed to squeeze four people in a tuk tuk but 5 is probably impossible so just get two and go with your gut feeling on the prices and if some one if ripping you off walk away because there are plenty of other drivers

Hikkaduwa, Sri Lanka
9 posts
1 review
23. Re: Question re tuk tuks

Tuk Tuks are not allowed to carry more than three people here in Sri Lanka ... Some Tuk Tuks in Colombo now have meters but you have to watch to be sure there isn't already miles on the meter. I would say a trip of 40 minutes would cost 1,000 rupees (roughly five pounds) This is what my volunteers pay xx

Reply to: Question re tuk tuks
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Mirissa