We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather (again)

Sunderland, United...
13 posts
Weather (again)

Hello, just wondering roughly what weather will be like last week of April - first week of May in Mirissa. I've already read the top question (thanks to the creator btw), but it doesn't give much away regarding these dates. Can we expect (hope for) much sunshine at all, based on the last few years around these times?

Thanks in advance,

Paul

7 replies to this topic
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
265 posts
15 reviews
11 helpful votes
1. Re: Weather (again)

hi,

Unquestionably, the starting point when planning your trip in Sri Lanka is understanding the two monsoon seasons. The south-western monsoon brings rain to the south-west of Sri Lanka between May and September, while the dry season in this region runs from December to March.

but cannot guess weather exactly,

have a nice day!

Buckinghamshire...
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
59 reviews
18 helpful votes
2. Re: Weather (again)

Why not simply google "weather statistics mirissa april"?

Sunderland, United...
13 posts
3. Re: Weather (again)

Thanks for your 'help'. Believe it or not I've already done that, and the statistics vary quite wildly over numerous sites, hence asking on here.

Perhaps I should've phrased the question differently and asked for local knowledge from someone having been around there at those times over the last few years. Never mind.

Buckinghamshire...
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
59 reviews
18 helpful votes
4. Re: Weather (again)

PFS82 - I note that asking for weather and exchange rates elsewhere are among previous topics in your rare forays to the Trip Advisor forums. I guess this year is Sri Lanka's turn! :-)

Not sure that if I wanted the weather for Sunderland in April (thankfully, I don't) that I'd simply ask a few local people! Statistically the sample size is too low and you're likely to get wildly different answers. Let's face it, who knows the average daytime temperature for a given time period or amount of rainfall for a place even if they live there!

The two sites I checked before suggesting to google "weather statistics mirissa april" gave exactly the same info for temperature (daily high/low), precipitation in mm, number of days precipitation and daily hours of sunshine. They are, after all, historical averages and based on the same data. And therefore much more accurate than a finger in the air view over just the 'last few years'.

I'm sorry you're having difficultly understanding the stats, even to the extent that you were unable to simply get the rough idea you were after..

Edited: 1:41 pm, March 21, 2019
Sunderland, United...
13 posts
5. Re: Weather (again)

What does it matter to you how often I post questions on TA? I view it pretty regularly, and only post questions that are pertinent to me - I hope that's agreeable with you?

I don't care how often you post, and also don't care enough to check either.

I've viewed a lot more than 2 websites, and have got rainfall data, for example, for the same month that varies by 100mm. That's a lot by anyone's standards, no? The same goes for rainfall days.

I don't see why you felt the need to refer to my other posts when they have nothing to do with you. If you had nothing to offer apart from a sarcastic remark, I do wonder why you bothered to post it at all?

It speaks volumes about you in my opinion, and I only hope you don't offer similar snide remarks to others asking perfectly innocent questions where the answers aren't immediately available.

Buckinghamshire...
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
59 reviews
18 helpful votes
6. Re: Weather (again)

Post #3 >>Thanks for your 'help'.

Post #5 >>If you had nothing to offer apart from a sarcastic remark, I do wonder why you bothered to post it at all?

Pot. Kettle.

Re the alleged 100mm variance. You do realise that's per month? That works out at around 3mm per day on average. Miniscule in a tropical country. So, not a lot by anyone's standards actually.

Sorry that I can't 'help' with your inability to interpret the stats. Have a lovely holiday. Oh, and bring a brolly.

Sunderland, United...
13 posts
7. Re: Weather (again)

Thanks for your invaluable advice.

Regards,

Paul

Reply to: Weather (again)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Mirissa