We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Feeling totally overwhelmed

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
157 posts
37 reviews
30 helpful votes
Feeling totally overwhelmed

Hi all, firstly apologies for this rather vague and long post, I’m just trying to get started with arranging a trip to Sri Lanka for my family of 5 over Xmas and new year.

I always arrange all our holidays independently but I have to say Sri Lanka has me totally overwhelmed. Everything I read suggests different “must dos” and the tricky thing is that everything seems so far away from each other.

Basically we will be there for 14/15 nights. We’re mainly looking for either 1 or 2 beach bases and then possibly a two night “national park” stay. I think I’ve narrowed it down to Mirissa beach, we want somewhere that local bars and restaurants (but not too crazy) good beach, surfing etc. and would love to go whale watching. So Mirissa seems to make sense - but please correct me if I’m wrong!

Do you think we should spend the majority of our time here and then move to a safari/ national park place (if so which one would you recommend?) or should we move on to another beach area elsewhere? I think moving on somewhere else round be nice but I just don’t know where would be best - any recommendations?

And then where would you recommend for a safari/national park type place for a couple of nights? We don’t want to spend hours and hours in a car and we will want somewhere that isn’t hours from Colombo. We’re travelling with 3 children.

If anyone could help/give some advice it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

12 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
1,163 posts
21 reviews
21 helpful votes
11. Re: Feeling totally overwhelmed

Also, here are a couple of shots of Hotel Tamarind Tree in Tissa, a bit more mid budget of around $US80 a night, but great pool and excellent food and staff.

https:/…377554610

Kids doing a shot for their Instagram, dad having to play photographer!

https:/…377554739

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
265 posts
15 reviews
11 helpful votes
12. Re: Feeling totally overwhelmed

hi,

yes your taste is good.nowadays season for whale watching in mirissa.on the other hand you can enjoy with your kids there having numerous water sports.

safari is good you can expreince lots of nature events with wild life.you can capture wild images too.Udawalaw National Park is fine to go safari.you can see about 150 elephants,birds like peacocks ,Crocadiles or else you can choose Yala national Park for the safari.there also you can find bears,lepards by the way.

have a nice journey!

Reply to: Feeling totally overwhelmed
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Mirissa