We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus Matara Ton Negombo

Aachen, Germany
7 posts
Bus Matara Ton Negombo

Hi, it’s me again :) thanks for all the help so far. It‘s been working out great. We are currently in Mirissa and our trip is about to end. Last stop of the journey is Negombo. Our former host in Tissa told us there is a bus connection via the express way from Matara to Negombo. But I can only find one connection per day, leaving at 7:30. is that really the only one? Other reports about this bus line that I find date back to 2014, so I wonder how up to date that still is. Any other options? Bus to Colombo and from there to Negombo? Also, any idea where the AC / luxury busses start in Matara? Is that directly at the seaside across from the main bus station? When arriving in Matara 3 days ago we were not sure if these were just tourist tour buses or the more comfortable ones...

All help is appreciated. Thanks!

7 replies to this topic
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
68,129 posts
239 reviews
340 helpful votes
1. Re: Bus Matara Ton Negombo

Yes probably that is only direct link. All others mean transfer in Colombo if you want fully public transport, Or in Kadawatha if you're okay doing last 35 km on tuktuk, cost around Rs 1500 plus the bus ticket. The EX03 buses to Kadawatha leave from bus stand, ask for exact location.

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
65 posts
2. Re: Bus Matara Ton Negombo

I posted a trip report on this journey a few days ago.

https:/…90496377

Aachen, Germany
7 posts
3. Re: Bus Matara Ton Negombo

Hi,

I just wanted to update this: there is in fact a direct bus to Negombo from Matara going via the airport. Upon arrival they told us it would leave at 1:30. in fact it got there around 1:00 pm, but left only at 2:10 we saw something in the bus saying even 2:30 departure. We figured it has to do with wether when the bus is full it leaves... price to Negombo was 800rp per person. Don’t know if it is cheaper to just the airport. Comfortable A/C Bus going via the express way. Took around 3 hours from Matara to Negombo.

I think the one at 7:30 in the morning ist also still valid, we saw a sign in the bus. But not 100percent sure.

Greetings Maren

1 post
4. Re: Bus Matara Ton Negombo

Hi Maren

Thank you for this update it’s very helpful!

Can I just confirm what number the bus is? (Is it the same as the one that leaves at 730am? As I can see that one online)

Also the location of the bus stop/stand to find this bus?

Thank you in advance

Lauren

1 post
5. Re: Bus Matara Ton Negombo

We are also interested in this elusive 07:00? 07:30? bus from Matara-CMB/BIA-Negombo. There seem to be adequate info about going to Colombo city thanks to everyone, but not so much info about this particular bus.

Has anyone actually taken the AM one? Can we goto Matara and buy a ticket in advance? Where do we take it?

Has anyone tried using busbooking.lk to get bus tickets.

Would appreciate any advice and info. Thanks!!!

Singapore, null...
Level Contributor
1 post
28 reviews
14 helpful votes
6. Re: Bus Matara Ton Negombo

Hi

In case this info helps anyone else.. (I was checking online for info and could not find much.) We have just taken this bus. It is an A/C express bus from Matara to Negombo also stopping at the international airport. The express buses are at the beach side of Matara bus station. No bus number but the start/end destination are clearly signed on the front. Timings are 7.30am and 1.30pm. It cost 740lkr and 200lkr more for luggage under the bus. Mix of locals and tourists on the bus.

1 post
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
7. Re: Bus Matara Ton Negombo

Thanks all for the post, we also took this bus.

Just to reconfirm the price was 740, ours set off at 8.00am (though we arriv ed for 6.30 and the bus arrived at 7), it arrived at the airport at 11, and Negombo bus station at 11.20.

The bus left from the Matara express bus station, this can be found on Google maps, and is located behind the main bus station right by the beach. The routes are labelled on the front of each bus.

Edited: 2:03 am, April 05, 2019
Reply to: Bus Matara Ton Negombo
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Mirissa