We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ATM opposite The Shack - Seylan Bank - Beware!!!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
4 helpful votes
ATM opposite The Shack - Seylan Bank - Beware!!!

I'm currently staying in Mirissa and used this ATM yesterday afternoon (13th March) to try and withdraw 40,000 LKR. The ATM didn't process the transaction and returned my credit, so I tried again. Same thing happened with the message 'transaction not processed'.

After checking the my credit card online my accounted has been debited for two withdrawals for 40,000 each, despite the ATM giving me no cash. Ive reported these transactions to my bank, but they've told me it will take 30 days to investigate/determine.

Has this happened to anyone else in Mirissa?

Needless to say I won't be using this ATM again!!

8 replies to this topic
1 post
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
1. Re: ATM opposite The Shack - Seylan Bank - Beware!!!

Hello,

It happened to me the same day, I tried three time and my account was debited as well. I am going to see the bank in matara.

Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
350 posts
24 reviews
6 helpful votes
2. Re: ATM opposite The Shack - Seylan Bank - Beware!!!

This is a tecnical issue in the ATM and bank around the world some times happened not only at mirissa.definetly you will get credit back to your account after days or hours.that is normal process.but better to follow up with the bank and get advice.also try to keep the complaint number furthe process.also ask them to check cctv in side the ATM outlet.

regrads

Berkhamsted, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
16 reviews
8 helpful votes
3. Re: ATM opposite The Shack - Seylan Bank - Beware!!!

I would advise to continue to AVOID this ATM.

I hadn't seen this post before, we have just returned from Mirissa, I attempted to withdraw LKR 40,000 last Wednesday 22nd August, message said it was not possible to process the transaction & gave me my card back.

Upon return from holiday my bank account shows the money as having been withdrawn together with handling fees etc.

I'm currently in discussion with my bank regarding this.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
4 helpful votes
4. Re: ATM opposite The Shack - Seylan Bank - Beware!!!

Lodge a dispute with your bank and also send an email to Seylan bank via their website. I was able to put a bit of pressure on the bank whilst in Mirissa and they investigated the issue and within 4 or 5 days they and acknowledged the mistake and the money was returned to my account, but this took a total of 2 weeks all in all. I never received my processing fee back though!! The bank must be making a fortune off this.

Pontfadog, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
29 reviews
30 helpful votes
5. Re: ATM opposite The Shack - Seylan Bank - Beware!!!

Similar story, 13th March 2019.

Attempted to withdraw 10,000 LKR (about £40), card returned, cash did not follow and machine went into 'out of order mode'.

Moments later it came back into service, I put my card in and requested balance. Money had been debited!

Later that evening (10 mins later) the machine was being loaded and the man informed me the machine had been empty prior to his arrival.

In the time I was stood by the machine thinking about what to do, someone else approached me saying the same had happened to them.

Luckily for me, it's only 10,000 LKR + processing fees and hardly worth the cost, hassle/wasted time of a trip to Matara Bank (as advised by the man loading the ATM).

Nevertheless, I've made a complaint and did so with the branch email address: matara.bmg@seylan.lk

I'll post outcome, if any!

Edited: 12:21 am, March 14, 2019
Buckinghamshire...
Level Contributor
1,142 posts
59 reviews
18 helpful votes
6. Re: ATM opposite The Shack - Seylan Bank - Beware!!!

If it's a credit card, the money is not 'debited' immediately but is treated as 'pending'. This can resolve itself in a few days.

Nonetheless, to support your case - with ATMs in Mirissa or elsewhere - good practice is to keep any and all paper receipts the machines issues and take a photo of messages on the ATM screen.

kandy
Level Contributor
707 posts
65 reviews
48 helpful votes
7. Re: ATM opposite The Shack - Seylan Bank - Beware!!!

With all the technical possibilities I still find all these issues from one ATM bit baffling. Hopefully coincidences. .Wiould be good if its possible to know from those who made these comments as to what happened to the money they lost .

Nelson Bay...
Level Contributor
149 posts
9 reviews
3 helpful votes
8. Re: ATM opposite The Shack - Seylan Bank - Beware!!!

We had the same issue at a bank ATM in Quito Ecuador and didn't think we'd get the money back. We reported it to our bank in Australia on our return and nearly 3 months later we got the money back, so don't despair, you should get it back eventually. It takes banks ages to sort these things, but even from half way around the world it can be done.

Reply to: ATM opposite The Shack - Seylan Bank - Beware!!!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Mirissa