We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Report on direct overland travel Bagan-Mrauk U

Yangon Region...
Level Contributor
3 posts
15 reviews
Report on direct overland travel Bagan-Mrauk U

Opposite to what most of the local travel agents and MTT office state: it is possible to go by bus from Bagan to Mrauk U directly without going south to Pyay. The bus trip takes about 20h (more depending on the connexion in Magwe).

From Nyaung U, take a local bus to Magwe (4h). There are many buses during the day, you might need to ask a local agent (the guy at Morning Star on the main road was very helpfull) or your gesthouse to help you catching the right bus on the road since they are not stopping at the bus station. In Magwe, you can catch the direct bus Mandalay-Sittwe at around midnight opposite of the Rolex Guest House to which you need to take a taxi from the local bus station. The direct bus requires you to pay the full fare price Ky 25'000 + an additional Ky 5'000 supplement for foreigner. The ticket can be brought in Magwe at K.M.H Fashion Shop, tel 095680758 opposite of the Rolex Guest House, the shop owner Minn is very helpful and speaks well english. The bus ride from Magwe to Mrauk U takes about 14h. There is one police check on the way which asks for copies of passport and visa (since I did not had one, and they just wrote down my passeport number in a book).

In the opposite direction the same trip is possible as a french couple reported to me.

Koe Thaung Temple
Sacred & Religious Sites
Mrauk U
Ancient Ruins
Shai-thaung Temple
Points of Interest & Landmarks
75 replies to this topic
Pantin, France
Destination Expert
for Myanmar
Level Contributor
852 posts
62 reviews
1. Re: Report on direct overland travel Bagan-Mrauk U

Thank you for your sharing.

I tried to do this last summer but I did not have enough time, it is good to know that is possible to do a road journey from Bagan to Mrauk U

Quesnel, Canada
9 posts
1 review
2. Re: Report on direct overland travel Bagan-Mrauk U

I can catch a bus from Sittwe to Bagan? Can you give me the particulars? Sounds like a long haul, but the only choice I thought I had was to fly to Yangon and then take an overnight bus to Bagan. Not so? I will be travelling alone so changing busses sounds a bit scary. No?

Fort Collins...
5 posts
3. Re: Report on direct overland travel Bagan-Mrauk U

That sounds so much better than a flight to a boat. One thing I must ask though: the bus from magwe. Does it go to sittwe (and then you still need to take the boat to mrauk u)? Or does the bus go from magwe, all the way to mrauk u?

Thank you so much!

Fort Collins...
5 posts
4. Re: Report on direct overland travel Bagan-Mrauk U

Just realized my last question may have been kind of dumb (presumably, to get from Mandalay to Sittwe, the bus goes through Mrauk U?) Sorry about that.

Do you, by chance, know who to contact, if I wanted to get on that bus when it left Mandalay?

Stockholm, Sweden
7 posts
5. Re: Report on direct overland travel Bagan-Mrauk U

We traveled from Mrauk U to Bagan overland in December 2013. Although I have read reports of travelers who made it easily in opposite way, we experienced some problems. There is a direct bus going from Sittwe to Mrauk U and then continue to Magwe and Mandalay each day (9AM in Mrauk U). The problem was that there is some kind of cooperation between guides+bus station sale office+immigration in Mrauk U and they did not not allow us to board the bus unless you buy service of accompanying guide who will go with you to Magwe.(150 USD for the service). The bus arrived in Magwe at 3 AM (2 check points on the way, very beautiful countryside around), we survived the night at the bus station and at 7AM we boarded another bus to Bagan (5hours).

Chengdu, China
4 posts
6. Re: Report on direct overland travel Bagan-Mrauk U

I just took the bus last week from Mrauk U to Magwe, and wasn't asked about needing a guide or anything. My hotel manager, who bought the ticket for me, told me that foreigners cannot buy the ticket themselves. He didn't specify who can, a travel agent, or just any local off the street, but I paid $40 for the whole way. At one stop, I met an older German couple also traveling by bus to Magwe, but they paid $50 per person and their bus was an old worn out one while mine was a nice new air-conditioned Korean one.

I'm not sure why they are so strict about it. Part of it is probably due to the fact that you go straight through the middle of the army's western region headquarters in Ann. At the second checkpoint leaving the area, they were also questioning a handful of individual Burmese for a half-an-hour. I was probably the least of their concerns. Oh yeah, amazing stars at that checkpoint, which was around 1 am.

By the way, I stayed at Royal City Guesthouse in Mrauk U. Clean rooms for only $10 a night.

Met a few people who tried to get to get the bus ticket from Magwe to Mrauk U, but few people seemed willing to help them, especially in Bagan.

Tallinn, Estonia
1 post
1 review
7. Re: Report on direct overland travel Bagan-Mrauk U

A huge gratitude for your post. It is very helpful

Mandalay, Myanmar
Destination Expert
for Mandalay Region, Myanmar
Level Contributor
2,487 posts
52 reviews
8. Re: Report on direct overland travel Bagan-Mrauk U

Take " Shwe La Min Express Bus " on this route if you decided to do it. This is the best bus company in this way. All the Buses were running form Sittwe to Mandalay.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
57 posts
58 reviews
9. Re: Report on direct overland travel Bagan-Mrauk U

Has anyone else traveled by land between Mrauk U and Bagan, or between Mrauk U and Mandalay recently? I have heard that the road conditions are not very good and that it takes a LONG time, but I am curious to hear if the scenery is worth the trip over land?

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,073 posts
29 reviews
10. Re: Report on direct overland travel Bagan-Mrauk U

I was in Magwee March this year to check out and bus leaves Magwee around 8am I tried and reached Ann 2008 but was turned back there by immirgation (after he took me home for breakfast, back then no foreigners allowed as said there are now buses direct from Bagan and Mandalay to Mrauk u also from Magwee now to Haka and kalewa/Kalemo massive changes

for more info

click http://montymanstravels.com/ and my trip photos Mrauk U 2008 (after returning to magwee next am went to Paye and an adventure via taungok / sittwe etc https://www.flickr.com/photos/24176861@N08/2291238480/in/photostream/

Reply to: Report on direct overland travel Bagan-Mrauk U
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted