We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When will the travel ban be lifted to Mrauck U?

Vancouver
Level Contributor
152 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
When will the travel ban be lifted to Mrauck U?

We are very interested in visiting Mrauck U at the end of this year but are wondering about the travel ban for tourists to the area. We were in Myanmar a few months ago but all flights to Sittwe were off limits to tourists. We hear the violence has subsided by no word on the travel ban. Does anyone able to I've an update?

Thanks, kat

Mentioned in this post
Koe Thaung Temple
Sacred & Religious Sites
Shai-thaung Temple
Points of Interest & Landmarks
Mrauk U
Ancient Ruins
Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,118 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: When will the travel ban be lifted to Mrauck U?

Looks like you can get there by road but you will have to apply for permits in advance & that may require a driver & guide (=$$$).

Yangon, Myanmar
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon)
Level Contributor
1,090 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: When will the travel ban be lifted to Mrauck U?

It's already allowed with permission.

As mentioned above, need to arrange things in advance to get permission.

Colden, New York
Level Contributor
2,930 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: When will the travel ban be lifted to Mrauck U?

Would the local travel agency arrange the permit for you? If you need a driver & guide it makes sense to me that this is one thing I would ask the agency to handle along with the hotels and any internal flights/train tickets/bus tickets. How long would the road trip take if you can't fly into Sittwe and then boat to MU?

katblue:

We are planning our trip for early February 2014, few months after yours. I also wanted to spend time in Mrauck U as I'm a temple fanatic. I hope things work out for you because then maybe they will work out for me! Have a great trip!

Edited: 9:45 am, April 01, 2013
Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
16,712 posts
386 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: When will the travel ban be lifted to Mrauck U?

I think the comment "road trip" is between Sittwe and Mrauk U rather than using a river boat.(??)

Tourists have never been able to access Sittwe overland by road,only by air and sea.

All arrangements-flights/guide/fees/hotels/permit must be through a Myanmar Agent.

SS

Mentioned in this post
Mrauk U
Mrauk U
108 Reviews
Mrauk U, Myanmar
yangon
Destination Expert
for Bagan
Level Contributor
560 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: When will the travel ban be lifted to Mrauck U?

The road to MraukU trip is off the beaten path crossing Yakhine Yoma ranges .

Trip need permission and packaged by a local based agent.

1. Yangon - Pyay _ Ngapali - Ann - MraukU 4 days

2. Bagan - Shwesattaw WR - Ann pass _ MraukU 3 days

The road conditions are poor and need 4 WD vehicle.

Mentioned in this post
Yangon (Rangoon)
Yangon (Rangoon)
Yangon Region, Myanmar
Ngapali
Ngapali
Rakhine State, Myanmar
Bagan
Bagan
Mandalay Region, Myanmar
Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,118 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: When will the travel ban be lifted to Mrauck U?

And one should expect to have 5 days to a week at the very least to attempt to go overland, no? That's a VERY long journey! (And a shame to not stop in Pyay for a day or two along the way!)

Colden, New York
Level Contributor
2,930 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: When will the travel ban be lifted to Mrauck U?

If I understand-can get to Mrauck U from Yangon or Bagan-2 different routes? 4 days from Yangon, 3 days from Bagan. Is Maruck U worth the trouble? Especially since I will have several days for Bagan?

Since we are planning days in Ngapali could we just go on from there with the proper permit, driver, guide? Could we pick up a driver, guide in Ngapali? How long would it take from there-2 days??

Hoping things calmer by February 2014 and we can fly, boat to Maruck U.

Mentioned in this post
Yangon (Rangoon)
Yangon (Rangoon)
Yangon Region, Myanmar
Bagan
Bagan
Mandalay Region, Myanmar
Ngapali
Ngapali
Rakhine State, Myanmar
Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
16,712 posts
386 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: When will the travel ban be lifted to Mrauck U?

By then everything could change and you should be able to take the flight from Thandwe to Sittwe.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
152 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: When will the travel ban be lifted to Mrauck U?

I absolutely can't wait to see those incredible temples in Mrauck U but I will wait until the flights resume to Sittew. I can't imagine going by road as travelling long distances on rough roads & high mountain passes isn't my idea of fun. it sounds like it would take weeks for the road travel alone. We're hoping they will allow tourists to fly in next season. I'm crossing my fingers the unrest will subside and peace will be restored as soon as possible!

It's one of those destinations well worth waiting for. When travel reopens to the area we'll be in contact with the Myanmar Embassey in Ottawa and hopefully they'll be able to issue the travel permits. They have always been extremely helpful with Visas in the past. Otherwise I'd feel quite comfortable booking flights & hotels in the area. We don't use agents anymore and really enjoy doing it ourselves. The planning & preparation is half the fun!

Thank you all for your thoughtful comments!

Happy Travels!

Mentioned in this post
Level Contributor
69 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: When will the travel ban be lifted to Mrauck U?

Hi!

We just returned from a 24 day round-trip in Myanmar including 4 nights in Mrauk U. When planning our trip in May 2012 our itinerary included a trip to Mrauk U, but due to the travel ban we had to reschedule in December 2012 spending the days instead in Kyaiktiyo (Golden Rock) and Mawlamyine. Now, when staying in Mandalay we read on Tripadvisor that tourists were allowed to travel to Mrauk U again when having a letter of permission from the government. We immediately sent an email to our travel agent asking if there would be any chance to get to Mrauk U. A few hours later our travel agent phoned us, telling us it should be possible to get a permit and arrange a trip there. They booked flights from Yangon to Sittwe and back, canceled our hotels in Kyaiktiyo and Mawlamyine and booked us into Shwe Thazin Hotel (one of only 2 hotels being open at that time, review will follow) in Mrauk U within the next few hours. On 25th March we met our guide in Yangon to fly to Sittwe, went through immigration (which took admittedly some time), got on a chartered boat for a 6h cruise to Mrauk and arrived there safely and without any hassels at about 8 pm. The next days we spent exploring the tempels by jeep and visiting a Chin village having the most wonderful time. The local people were very friendly and delighted to see foreigners coming to there region again. We never felt unsafe. During our whole stay in Mrauk U we only met 3 other foreign couples! On 29th March we traveled on the same route back to Yangon and once again everything went very smoothly. We highly recommend going to Mrauk U now!

Mentioned in this post
Mrauk U
Mrauk U
108 Reviews
Mrauk U, Myanmar
Mandalay
Mandalay
Mandalay Region, Myanmar
Yangon (Rangoon)
Yangon (Rangoon)
Yangon Region, Myanmar
Shwe Thazin Hotel