We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

the best intinerary along the Alpine Road by car

Brasil
Level Contributor
25 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
the best intinerary along the Alpine Road by car

Hi

My husband and I are planning to visit Germany (Munich and alps) in september.

What would be the best intinerary along the Alpine Road by car in 8 days? thank you

Mentioned in this post
Germany
Germany
Europe
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: the best intinerary along the Alpine Road by car

The most scenic stretch of the Deutsche Alpenstrasse (German Alpine Highway) is between Reit im Winkl (south of the Chiemsee Lake) to Berchtesdgaden.

For the full Alpenstrasse drive from Munich on the Autobahn A-96 ro Lindau. Spend overnight in this delightful island city in Lake Constnace. Then head back for 4km on the A-96 to exit 3, and take the B-308 (part of the Alpenstrasse) to Oberstaufen, Immenstadt, Sonthofen. Hindelang. From the Sonthofen exit you could take a short detour to Oberstdorf and the Kleine Walsertal (Austria). In Oberstdorf, the cable car to the top of the Nebelhorn is fun. You will be right smack in the alps. Overnight?, I would)

Back to Sonthofen and Hindelang. From there take the B-310 road to the Oberjoch (a smll pass, quite scenic). At the Oberjoch you have the choice, follow the B -310 to Fuessen, or take a scenic short - cut through Austria: From Oberjoch B-199 to Weissenbach and the B-198 to Reutte, and from there follow the signs to Fuessen. Visit Neuschwanstein, at least from the outside.

Overnight in Fuessen.

From Fuessen, if you want to stay on the Alpenstrasse, take the B-17 north to Steingaden and take the road to Eichelsberger Bruecke (right turn off the B-17 in Steingaden). On the way, take the short detour to visit the Wieskirche , a Baviaran baroque church jewel, sitting in the meadows, as the name implies. From the Eichelsberger Bruecke head south to Oberau and Garmisch Partenkirchen. This road takes you throuigh Oberammergau, and just before Ettal you can take a detour to visit the Linderhof Schloss (place) of King Ludwig II. The Wies and Linderhof are my favorites.

In Garnisch, take the Zugspitzbahn cog railway to the top of Germany's highsest mountain. Very alpine. Spend the night in Garmisch.

After Garmisch, take the B-1 south, and B-11 north to Wallgau. There the Alpenstrasse continues to Vorderriss. This short stretch is a toll road. After Vorderriss, follow the B-307 Alpnstrrase to Rottach Egern and Gmund, where the B-307 turns to Schliersee,Bayrischzell and Oberaudorf. From there take the Austrian B-172 to Koessen and Reit im Winkl, where you pick up the B-305 Deutsche Alpenstrasse to Berchtesgaden.

These are all good roads.

Mentioned in this post
Reit im Winkl
Reit im Winkl
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Lindau
Lindau
Swabia, Germany
Oberstaufen
Oberstaufen
Swabia, Germany
Oberstdorf
Oberstdorf
Swabia, Germany
Austria
Austria
Europe
Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Oberammergau
Oberammergau
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Schloss Elmau
Schloss Elmau
845 Reviews
Elmau, Germany
Zugspitzbahn Cog Railway
Zugspitzbahn Cog Railway
141 Reviews
Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany
Wallgau
Wallgau
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Rottach-Egern
Rottach-Egern
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Schliersee
Schliersee
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Bayrischzell
Bayrischzell
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Oberaudorf
Oberaudorf
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Berchtesgaden
Berchtesgaden
Upper Bavaria, Germany
greeley, CO
Level Contributor
2,967 posts
487 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: the best intinerary along the Alpine Road by car

There is a complete description in the Michelin Green Guide for Germany

Mentioned in this post
Germany
Germany
Europe
Brasil
Level Contributor
25 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: the best intinerary along the Alpine Road by car

Thank you . I love your suggestions.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
15 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: the best intinerary along the Alpine Road by car

Hi,

I am planning this same road trip with my husband and teenaged daughter in Aug 2013 .... and am getting confused with some postings. Is it worth doing the whole road trip or should one stick to only some parts of it ?

Our interest is mainly scenery.

We will be arriving from Dubai to Munich - how does one plan this trip from Munich - is it better to take the train one way and drive back as we possibly wont have more than 7-10 days for the full trip.

Any suggestions / advice would be welcome. Tnx.

Mentioned in this post
Dubai
Dubai
Emirate of Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: the best intinerary along the Alpine Road by car

The prettiest part, in my opinion, is the 50km stretch between the Autobahn A-8 Siegsdorf exit and Berchtesgaden. Upon exiting the A-8, follow the signs B-306 (that's the road designation) to Inzell. Shortly thereafter, the B-305 coming from Reit Im Winkl joins the B-306 and the Alpenstrasse road designation becomes B-305. It is well marked to Berchtesgaden.

However, if you have the time, I would follow this full day itinerary, with an overnight stop in Berchtsgaden: From Munich take the A-8 Autobahn going east (toward Salzburg). Exit at Bernau, and follow the signs to Prien and the Chiemsee (lake) At the lake, in Stock, take one of the touring boats to the Herreninsel (island), with the Herrenchiemsee Palace of King Ludwig II. Visit the palace. Then head back toward Bernau, but do not get back on the Autobahn, just continue past Bernau on the Prien - Bernau road to Grassau, Marquartstein - Reit im Winkl. Reit is one of the prettiest Alpine villages in Bavaria. ( 28km from Bernau) In Reit, pick up the Deutsche Alpenstrasse B-305 and follow it to the intersection with the B-306, as described above. Berchtesgaden is about 50km from Reit im Winkl. ,

Edited: 7:02 pm, January 05, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Berchtesgaden
Berchtesgaden
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Inzell
Inzell
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Reit im Winkl
Reit im Winkl
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Salzburg
Salzburg
Salzburg Region, Austria
Bavaria Boutique Hotel
Bavaria Boutique Hotel
898 Reviews
Munich, Germany
Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
15 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: the best intinerary along the Alpine Road by car

Thank you so much ; am saving your notes for the journey.

Please dont mind me asking more questions - what is the ideal time we should spend on this entire road trip?

Cheers,

Sharmistha

7. Re: the best intinerary along the Alpine Road by car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, March 01, 2014