We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Port Barton - The town that tourism left behind

Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
5,792 posts
263 reviews
Save Topic
Port Barton - The town that tourism left behind

Interesting blog titled "Port Barton - the town that tourism left behind : 20 years hence"

20yearshence.com/port-barton-the-town-that-t…

Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
5,792 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Port Barton - The town that tourism left behind

Port Barton TRULY appeared a backpacker paradise - very relaxed, very empty (except for the bus which was very full!), cheap, and surprise surprise - in reality, has more electricity than El Nido since many "resorts" have generators that they run if you request (see -that laid back!) .

The journey from PP is back breaking and adventurous with a few roosters and hard seats thrown in, but it is impossible not to laugh during your journey.

The destination is worth it. Since I do not foresee the road changing for the next decade, Port Barton and San Vicente (see angkulet's blog for details on the latter) seem an excellent place for a 6 day getaway.

By the way, El Nido and Port Barton are two completely different categories so one cannot compare the two. Each seems to have it's own merits.

I have added a few hotels and lodges in San Vicente and Port Barton - please do add more places

JBR coming up....

Edited: 5:24 am, July 24, 2013
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,027 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Port Barton - The town that tourism left behind

Interesting blog,

I am surprised at the authors comments though. Having not been to Port barton, I cant comment, but has tourism really dropped off? or was the author just there out of season?

I would be surprised if visitors to Port Barton are getting less as opposed to more , another place on my to do list though, so I will just have to check out myself

Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
5,792 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Port Barton - The town that tourism left behind

I am curious about that too...

Perhaps someone who has been to Port Barton say 10 years ago and now comment on that?

Philippines
Level Contributor
279 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Port Barton - The town that tourism left behind

I admire Port Barton's simplicity and laid back atmosphere. As a matter of fact, that was the only place in Palawan (aside from Lagen Island) where people will smile and greet at you before you approach them.

I like when the author said that: "Port Barton is the kind of place where, away from all possible distractions, it’s easy to believe that all that exists, all that matters, is this very moment."

california
Level Contributor
73 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Port Barton - The town that tourism left behind

How do you get to Port Barton from Puerto Princesa...

Do you get a jeepney from Puerto Princesa?

Thanks?

Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
5,792 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Port Barton - The town that tourism left behind

Port Barton to Puerto Princessa = Bus

There is a jallopy bus that leaves once a day, every morning 9 am for Puerto Princessa. But you must reach the bus at 8 am to "reserve"your seat. The bus is always crowded, with a few people sitting on top of the roof!

Journey time = uncomfortable approximately 5 - 6 hours

Of course it is not air conditioned. DO take a cushion / towel for your bum.

Jeepney = does exist but is exceptionally unreliable (may run today, may not, may be late, who knows) , hence not even used by many locals. It also stops a lot en route so it will reach PP after nearly 8 hours! Some people use it for half the trip, however, since this part of Phils has probably the least numebr of buses (it is even more remote than Banaue!), I would stick to the 9 am bus option.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
904 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Port Barton - The town that tourism left behind

We were in PB in May this year and it was VERY quiet. Even though it was low season I was surprised at how quiet it was. It was like we had the place to ourselves. There were maybe 15-20 tourists there at the time, or so it seemed. It was great for some peace and quiet.

Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
5,792 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Port Barton - The town that tourism left behind

@ Amz

Congrats - you actually stayed in one of the least populated tourist spots in the Phils (just 21 people per square kilometer) - of course, it doubles when there is a bus in that square kilometer! joke joke!

Level Contributor
323 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Port Barton - The town that tourism left behind

hi i have been doing alot of searching on the net on a good place to retire to in later years for my wife and i. I found this place found pics and we have no probs about retiring to port barton looks nice going to go there next trip to philippines , would retire to where the relos live but would be better off away from there but still close enough for them to visit cant wait to check this place out

Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
5,792 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Port Barton - The town that tourism left behind

@ Bob

Before buying anything / committing yourself, do stay there for 2 weeks - a month (preferably during the dry season, and again during the monsoons).

That will give you a fair idea of how your life will actually be.

It will also give you sufficient time to talk to other expats who have stayed there - some may feel open enough and honest enough to tell you their experiences.