We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling from Washington to Great Smoky Mountains

Tel Aviv, Israel
1 post
Save Topic
Traveling from Washington to Great Smoky Mountains

I plan to go from Washington to reach the Smoky Mountains

(we are a family of 4 people)

-I can rent a car in Washington (and drop it back it in Atlanta), - I want to know if it's a good idea to take the train to Asheville / Knoxville instead?

-Where can I get more information on the schedule and prices of the train journey. Is there a direct train that comes close to GATLINBURG?

-If it is a better idea to travel by car: what is the optimal way to get there quickly, while also enjoying the sights: people and landscapes characteristic of the United States .

thank you.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,074 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling from Washington to Great Smoky Mountains

Unfortunately, there is no train route that travels from Washington to Asheville, Knoxville or Gatlinburg. For confirmation and more information about the train routes in that part of the US, you can visit www.amtrak.com

From Washington, the most direct route for driving is to take I66 west - I81 south which will take you to Knoxville. This route travels through the Shenandoah Valley and is a lovely drive - it avoids major cities.

If you are looking for some information on car rentals in the US, there are some very knowledgeable people that post on the Road Trips Forum who can give you good tips.

2. Re: Traveling from Washington to Great Smoky Mountains

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:15 am, January 27, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Great Smoky Mountains...