We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vaison-la-Romaines or Sault

Which Sault hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Horsham, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Vaison-la-Romaines or Sault

My wife and I are visiting the Vaucluse area in October after staying at Sommieres for a week.We will have a hire car. We are wondering which town is the most inviting to stay at for 3 or 4 days, both to relax in and to use as a base to do some trips in the area.

Can anyone describe the pros and cons of both places?

We are then heading north to Grenoble and Beaune for the rest of our French sojourn.

Looking forward to any help.

5 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,663 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vaison-la-Romaines or Sault

Vaison-la-Romaine is larger than Sault, with more shops and restaurants. In my opinion, Vaison is better positioned for visiting interesting places in the area.

Last year, we stayed for a week in a village near Vaison. You can see the places we managed to visit at www.nickbooth.id.au/Europe11/Sablet.html

Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
3,634 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vaison-la-Romaines or Sault

"Ditto."

Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
3,634 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vaison-la-Romaines or Sault

Please consider the Hostellerie le Beffroi, in Vaison. It is situated just below the castle in the upper part of town, and has lovely rooms AND a really good restaurant.

Horsham, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Vaison-la-Romaines or Sault

Thanks Nick, it was what I was thinking. I suppose one can visit Sault as Vaisons isn't far away at all to drive. What is it like to drive around in the villages of the area-narrow streets and steep inclines I suppose!

Edited: 2:31 am, June 29, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,663 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vaison-la-Romaines or Sault

When we stayed near Vaison last year, we spent most of one day driving up Mt Ventoux, down to Sault, then back along the Gorges de la Nesque: a most enjoyable day. We had lunch at a bistro in Sault, which had this view from its terrace: nickbooth.id.au/Europe11/…PanSault.jpg

Most of the streets in the towns and villages are of reasonable width, but obviously the hilltop villages have steep approaches.

Edited: 2:36 am, June 29, 2012
Reply to: Vaison-la-Romaines or Sault
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sault