We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lavendar Fields - Carpentras to Sault or Isle to Gordes?

Which Sault hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Orleans
Level Contributor
9 posts
229 reviews
Save Topic
Lavendar Fields - Carpentras to Sault or Isle to Gordes?

I will be in Avignon in late July, and when I leave, to continue my auto journey to Nice, I want to go via a route to see lavender..I heard the route from Carpentras to Sault is less crowded than the road to Gordes..is the traffic so bad? Is it worth the extra journey to Folcalquier and Riez? Has anyone been from Riez to Nice? Thanks for tips!

13 replies to this topic
provence
Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
2,014 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lavendar Fields - Carpentras to Sault or Isle to Gordes?

Do the Carpentras to Sault route only because Sault is the centre of the lavender fields.

Not sure where you got the information on the traffic to Gordes (OK in peak season it can be very touristy) but try and take the Carpentras bypass as it can be difficult going through the town centre.

New Orleans
Level Contributor
9 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lavendar Fields - Carpentras to Sault or Isle to Gordes?

Thank you - I will do it!

London
Level Contributor
13 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lavendar Fields - Carpentras to Sault or Isle to Gordes?

There's a large belvedere area on the D1 to pull of the road here http://maps.google.com/maps?q=sault,+france&hl=en&ll=44.071615,5.360556&spn=0.026548,0.053387&sll=43.436966,10.17334&sspn=13.731843,27.333984&t=h&z=15 just above Monieux where you can see a map of all the lavender fields in the Nesque Valley - which includes Sault

Very good co-op in Sault itself which sells lavender goods.

London
Level Contributor
13 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lavendar Fields - Carpentras to Sault or Isle to Gordes?

If you go to Gordes the only reason to do so is to visit the lavender fields at the Abbaye de Senanque just north of Gordes. Very touristy and busy

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
7,858 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lavendar Fields - Carpentras to Sault or Isle to Gordes?

The lavender field in front of the Abbaye de Senanque must have been very recently replanted for it looked (last month) that it would not bloom anytime soon. The Sault route (valley below Sault) would be a winner, IMO.

UK
Level Contributor
3,955 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lavendar Fields - Carpentras to Sault or Isle to Gordes?

There's an amazing view of lavender fields from Sault itself.

Melbourne, Australia
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Lavendar Fields - Carpentras to Sault or Isle to Gordes?

I'm sorry to go off the topic by popping up and asking the question. But is it possible to travel with a tour company around Sault, if I cannot drive? I am planning to see Lavendar fields towards the end of June next year. It's really bothering me as I don't find any tour online. Thx in anticipation!

New Orleans
Level Contributor
9 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lavendar Fields - Carpentras to Sault or Isle to Gordes?

I am sure you can find a tour company to take you anywhere...I don;t have a personal suggestion, but keep Google searching. Sault was DEFINATELY worth the ride, but you may be slightly dissapointed en route through Carpentras. It's not very pretty until you get to Sault.

New Orleans
Level Contributor
9 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lavendar Fields - Carpentras to Sault or Isle to Gordes?

My husband and I drove to Sault, via Carpentras. We then drove from Sault to Banon and then headed south over the mountainous roads back to the A8. This was beautiful!! We went the last week in July, and they had already started harvesting...some fileds were freshly mowed but we could still smell the Lavender. The most beautiful part of this journey was the approach to Sault and then through Banon. Both Sault and Banon are DELIGHTFUL and beautiful! The roads were more steep then I had anticipated; and likewise the day we went was a bit rainy and foggy, so check the weather if you are not used to driving mountain roads. Most of our journey from Avignon to Carpentras to Sault was not very scenic.

Edited: 7:52 am, September 13, 2011
Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
7,858 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lavendar Fields - Carpentras to Sault or Isle to Gordes?

Lavender was slow in blooming this year and, so, at the end of June there were still plenty of fields that looked gray. I would say that the first week of July may be a much better time, just to cover bases. As far as a tour, if you are staying at a hotel, I am sure they would be able to arrange for or recommend a tour.

Reply to: Lavendar Fields - Carpentras to Sault or Isle to Gordes?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sault
More Sault Topics